1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 2008 Super Bowl halftime act is ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 10, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain they'll be the only Eagles at the Super Bowl.

Their set will be "Take It Easy," "Heartache Tonight" and "The Long Run" (hopefully with horns, they killed that song on the Live album)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What, no Hotel California? Fuck.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This kind of makes "The End Of the Innocence" an even bigger pile of hypocritical horseshit than it already was, doesn't it?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This, my friend, would be impossible.

Don Henley must die.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, "Boys of Summer" is still great. *ducking as Zeke throws plates, knives and the rest of the kitchen at my head*

But "The End Of the Innocence" was all about blasting greed and American excess. So five years later, Henley helps usher in the age of the $100 concert ticket by reuniting with the Eagles. And now he's playing halftime of the Super Bowl, the no. 1 symbol of American excess...and he's playing it b/c the Republicans he so righteously railed against in 1989 have helped turn the Super Bowl halftime show into a Y-7 affair.

motherfuck. He sucks.

And that new Eagles song blows. Stop fucking playing it, BYH Classic.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That was his Wheatabix kicking in

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think they should just do away with the whole three-song mini-set idea at the Super Bowl. Prince was awesome last year, but really, one song to open, one song to groove and then the finale. They would be better off putting together an all-star jam band, have the Eagles share the stage with the Doobie Brothers and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

FYI - Age of Innocence was written by Bruce Hornsby (who hasn't sold out. For that matter he hasn't sold much, but I still like his stuff.)

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Say it 'aint so! Don't let Henley together again with Glenn Frye.
    I would've figured Springsteen this year, since he'll be on tour and he's never done an NFL event before.
    If the Eagles are the show, this begs for the In Living Color Halftime Party, a Mankind-Undertaker boiler room rematch, the Butt Bowl...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I knew he played piano on it. I didn't know he wrote it.

The point still stands: Don fashioned himself as the anti-establishment middle-aged rocker in the late '80s. and he's just as full of shit as anyone else.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sadly, the lyrics to TBOS have the exact same hypocritical bullshit in them.

He must die!

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But I can see you,
    Your brown skin shinin’ in the sun ...

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Someone wants to visit a little island I like to call On Blast, I see.

Have it your way, Doc.

Draft saved Draft deleted