1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 2008 LA Dodgers: Alienating its fan base one child at a time!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Remeber, Buck and Echan, this is the franchise that 50 years ago abandoned the most rabid, loyal fan base in the history of sports because the City of New York would not build them a new stadium.

And you're surprised by any of this?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sounds like the Sonics, minus being the the most rabid in all of sports and in New York.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Did you read Steve Kelley's column in the Seattle Times a few days ago? That say a lot about the fan base and the ownership of the Sonics.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Read again what I said. I said it sounds like the Sonics, MINUS being one of the most rabid fan bases and in New York. But here's the link.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2004341316_kelley11.html

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

They aren't comparable on a level of historical significance — the Dodgers WERE Brooklyn, and the Sonics are just another NBA team in a sports-mad town; plus, the Dodgers move brought baseball to the west coast for the most part — but there is a parallel.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

buck: I was all set to talk about the stairs in Dodger Stadium (and there are stairs from the third tier up to the top, well hidden by doors). But yeah, access to other places is crappy.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/visits/dodger_stadium.htm

Still, I love that park. I'm biased.

7. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Damn right. My brother served in Korea a few years ago and got a ton of dirt-cheap jerseys. Knock-offs? Beats me. But the fabric and stitching were solid and nothing was spelled wrong. He got me three jerseys for under $100. Too bad he can't go back.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll try to do this objectively. :D
    This is my opinion of Dodger Stadium:

I love watching a game at Dodger Stadium, for the three hours that I am in my seat. The views, the sounds (Scully!), the smells, the history. The passion of so many great Dodger fans (even if they do arrive in the third inning), the organ, the palm trees, the sunset, the warmth, the bleachers. Even the beach balls. ... (OK, maybe not the Dodger Dogs, which are disappointingly flabby and often cold.) ... Like Fenway, like Wrigley, like Yankee, it's a stadium that everyone should get to once in their lives. A gorgeous place to watch a game. Very unique.

But I hate, fucking hate, everything else about the experience.

I hate the horrendous drive to the stadium (doesn't matter when you leave, where you're coming from or which freeway you take ... although I've been able to sneak down the 2 and into the Sunset gate without much trouble once I figured out the shortcuts 8)), I hate parking in that lot (the size of Rhode Island), I hate walking the steps up that damn hill to get to the only gate they'll allow me into when I buy an upper-deck ticket, I hate having to watch BP from that same upper-deck concourse, I hate not being able to sneak into the box seats in the 6th inning (a tradition and talent passed down for three generations in my family!), I hate the idiotic Angeleno bravado coming from half the cars still stuck in the parking lot two hours after the game (granted, you get out a lot quicker now than a couple years ago ...)

It's NOT the best experience, if you're going to enjoy the game. You'll have a much better time at any ballpark not named the Vet or the Trop in the major leagues.

Except for those three hours you're in your seat. For those three hours, I fall in love with the place. Every time.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I love Dodger Stadium's large lot.

I hate having to take the train to a stadium, or praying that I get to the yard early enough to get one of the few parking spots. I love that, while the Dodger lot is massive, you don't have to park your car in metered parking, or at some lot miles away, then take a train in.

I haven't been to a lot of parks for baseball - Dodger, Angel Stadium, Jack Murphy are the three I liked the most as far as a parking experience. Fenway was amazing, as was Wrigley. St. Louis, was nice enough even if $19 for standing room only was total crap. Oakland is, eh.

Everyone has their preference. I'm a dude who loves to park his car somewhat safely (safe from parking tickets, thus bringing much peace of mind) in a lot outside the stadium, and drink in the atmosphere on the long walk up to these cathedrals. The lot is huge at Dodger Stadium, but parking is easy enough unless you're late to a sold-out game.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I'm probably not objective on that point. The first game I ever went to at Dodger Stadium, some idiot snuck a beer bottle under my wheel while I was idling in the lot, waiting to leave the Golden State gate. I didn't see him do it because there were a few hundred people walking through the cars, like people do after a game, and all of a sudden I went forward and ... POP!

Luckily, it didn't damage my tire then. But it was a pretty asshole move that makes me a little paranoid when I'm in that lot.

Oh, and you should come back and catch a game at Petco. Easy access, easy parking (especially in the garage next to the Omni(?) hotel), as inexpensive as you want it to be, tremendous views and a beautiful ballpark.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

spnited - you also could argue that the fans abandoned the dodgers for long island.

12. In Exile

In Exile Member

This may have changed in the last few years, but once upon a time if you had a bleacher ticket in Fenway Park you weren't even allowed in the rest of the park at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted