1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 2007 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame inductees are...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 8, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Will Bruce be giving the induction speech for Patti Smith, who Bruce gave Because the Night to and then she had a hit with it?
    Or will he give the induction speech for The Rhonettes? The wall of sound they used because of Phil Spector was at the heart of Born to Run, he plays their version of Santa Claus, Ronnie Spector has joined him on stage for a three-song Rhonettes set (Nov. 4, 1976), he reworked his song 'You Mean So Much to Me' so Ronnie Spector and Southside Johnny could record it as a duet. Plus he's a huge fan of that 60s girl group sound.
    Or will he be asked to do neither?

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I would like to see Thom Yorke or Eddie Vedder handle the induction for R.E.M.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They should rename it the Hall of Pretentious Artsy Dickweeds.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Van Halen is pretentious? Dickweeds I could live with.

6. The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel.
    Don't push me 'cause I'm close to the edge.

7. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

That's a bunch of garbage on KISS not being in. Were they the most accomplished musicians in the world? Nope. Were they cartoonish and buffoonish? Yes, and that began pretty much after 1977. From 73-to-77 they were as heavy and hard as anybody out there. They were voted the No. 1 band by the American Public in 1977 in the Gallup Poll (yes, over Led Zepellin and Aerosmith). No matter how much you hate them, you can't deny their influence on that decade.

Here's just a short list of artists influenced by them so much so that they've either admitted to in interviews or done covers of their songs as proof: Motley Crue, Skid Row, Limp Bizkit, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Pantera, Metallica, Anthrax, Slash from GNR, Rob Zombie, Iron Maiden and The Donnas. Heck even Lenny Kravitz did a cover of one of their songs on a KISS Tribute album with Stevie Wonder helping out on harmonica. STEVIE WONDER!

KISS defined what a rock concert should be like. It should be fun and have a party atmosphere and worth the money you've spent. They raised the level that other bands would have to follow in that regard. They are certainly not on the level of a Led Zeppelin or Beatles. I'm not arguing that. But they certainly have the resume to get in the Rock Hall of Fame. And it's not even close.

I mean KISS isn't in but the Bee Gees, Ink Spots, Grateful Dead, The Flamingos and The Contours are? Just take a look at the list of Hall members and I'm pretty sure a majority of posters on here won't recognize a third of them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

KISS sucks worse than Florida. KISS should not be in the title game.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

This is easily the worst Hall of Fame ever.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That could be construed as an attack on Cleveland, and I won't stand for it!

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kiss certainly had more influence than Blondie, and they have a song that will live on for generations (Rock and Roll All Night). I think Heart of Glass and Rapture have kinda faded into the ether. Stuff like the Flamingos and Contours, I can see because they were in at the dawn of rock and roll. I think Kiss certainly had a big influence on the rock culture and should be in. And being good in a musical sense really isn't part of it, or the Ramones wouldn't be in. Rock is as much about the attitude, and Kiss had that in spades.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Van Halen was a great band that deserves entry into a real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It just appears that one hasn't been built yet. I mean we have that fancy looking building in Cleveland where we all act like a bunch of musicians walked across Lake Erie to get there every year. But that place rocks about as much as Jethro Tull does up against Metallica for best metal album.

Draft saved Draft deleted