1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you, Pancamo. Shit happens.

It's a shame Peter Aliss can't call the entire tournament for ESPN.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

I heard on the radio that one of the players refused to putt because of the heavy winds, and then the officials decided to make the call. Not entirely sure if that's correct, but that's what I heard.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not THAT complicated.

Coverage of events across the pond is not as thorough as it once was. Fewer media there = fewer storylines being written.

Tribune newspapers DID lead its notebook with Mickelson and quoted him talking to ESPN "in his only interview."

If you're wondering why people were not columnizing on it, it's because you had Woods and Daly shooting lights out.

McIlroy = lead
    Woods/Daly = column
    Mickelson = notebook (assuming papers had room for three stories).

There just ain't resources for much more.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

Oosthuizen definitely caught a break with his early tee-time. If he had to play with the wind, the leader-board would look much more different than what is is now.

5. JackReacher

Yup. A 5-shot lead right now is youuuuuuge.

6. JackReacher

I said right now. That obviously could -- and will -- change. Good work, and some luck, to build that kind of lead thus far. Chances are he'll blow up, but you never know. Dude shoots 74-75 and he might win.

Agreed, though. 6-under is about right.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Exactly. Don't forget: Oosthuizen will have a later tee-time tomorrow. That means that he'll have a date with the heavy winds, while the guys in today's wind will get out earlier.

8. JackReacher

Does the wind not blow in the morning, over there?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I haven't exactly figured out how they pulled it off, but Daly's scoring is part of a plot by companies that sell television sets.

With the lull in sports events folowing the World Cup, All-Star Game, etc., they know that more folks than usual will be watching golf by default this weeekend.

I'm willing to bet that more than a few viewers are going to tune to the British Open only to exclaim, "Damn it! this TV has to be broken. No way is a professional golfer wearing that color of pants!"

10. CR19

CR19 Member

I'm not there, but it wasn't that bad with the early rounds. The wind is a lot less mild in the morning rounds, if I had a guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

Yeah. Seems that way so far. Wasn't sure if it's like that all the time, though.

I'd like to see someone currently sitting at -1 or -2 end up winning.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

After a wobbly start, Tiger's back to even for the day through nine, -5 for the tourney. Rory's plummeting: +6 through 11, -3 for the tourney.

Draft saved Draft deleted