1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So when Tiger hacks it up in the first round of a major, or any tournament for that matter, the media jumps all over him because he's the No. 1 golfer if the world, or he cheated on his wife? And because Phil, the No. 2 golfer in the world who continues to knock on the door but can't find the knob, doesn't cheat on his wife, the media is OK with the fact that he can skip out without talking to reporters after placing 74th through one day?

Something about that doesn't sit well with me.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup, certainly a theory. Just not a good one.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Prediction: No one is shooting 63 today. Not in that wind. St. Andrews will be a totally different course.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Tiger starts bogey-bogey and is nine back on a course where making up shots is going to be next to impossible unless you make some putts, and the putter has been killing him of late.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I get that ... and I agree that, through the years, Tiger has been more difficult than Phil when it comes to press conference. But what I'm saying is that why is nobody calling Phil out on his 73 when everyone and their mother shot under par. Or calling him out on being invisible since the Masters. And even moreso, why aren't they calling him out for not talking with reporters afterward.

Don't you think that's a bad reflection on the media? Let's face it, he's the little darling in the U.S., but not across the pond. I guess I was just surprised that the No. 2 golfer could get away with such a thing because I've read merely a few blog posts about it.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you get it, why do you keep asking the same question?

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

What I get is that Tiger is an asshole. Phil is not. What I don't get is why nobody is questioning why the world's No. 2 golfer left without talking to the media following a flop in the first round of an Open championship. Explain if you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

Jesus. Really?

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Do you ever provide insight?

Going back to my originial post, had Tiger done this, it would have provided shitty column fodder for all. Phil does it, and nobody notices. Back to the double standard that has existed since Phil's win at the Masters.

10. JackReacher

It's because of the very thing you've mentioned more than once. Tiger's a dick. Phil's not. People tend to overlook certain things when people aren't dicks. Really, it's that simple.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Agreed. If that is the case, it makes me feel sorry for this profession in general.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And its bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted