1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Actually, I want Zag to post something else equally stupid about golf so I can rip him too. :)

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I can't add anything more than this. It's dead-on correct.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Really - the best courses in America are patterned after the ones in the British Isles and that is how golf is played?

Really? Remind me again what major and/or significant tournament in this country is consistently played on a goofy golf course with wind and rain and pot belly bunkers or whatver the fuck they are.

Oh that's right, there aren't any.

4. zagoshe

No, European golf sucks when it is played on these kinds of courses. It has nothing to do with this week, who is winning and who is losing. You'd know this if you weren't so intent to tell us all how smart you are by reciting idiotic statements about Texas golfers learning how to play in the wind.

Who gives a rat's ass.

How many tournaments in this country are played under the ridiculous conditions and on courses as idiotic as the ones in the British Open?

And JR -- a windmill and a clown is not that far away from some of the shit that we saw on that goofy golf course this week

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Links golf is a relatively new thing, right?

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow, now knowledge is being disparaged. Don't know how to quit when you're behind, do you Zag?

So we don't have weather issues on courses? Here's the history of weather interruptions: rain, wind, fog, you name it, for an AMERICAN (since that's all that matters to you) course that hosts a fairly well-known tournament.

1936 - Thursday's round postponed. Sunday's round postponed. 36 holes played Monday.

1938 - Tournament started on Friday, play suspended. 18 holes Saturday, 36 Sunday, 18 Monday

1939 - Final day 36 holes

1956 - High winds in final round

1961 - Rain Sunday, round postponed, Monday finish

1973 - Heavy rains Saturday, round postponed. Two tee start Sunday, Monday finish

1979 - Heavy rains suspended play Friday, round finished Saturday morning

1982 - Rain suspended play Thursday, round finished Friday

1983 - Friday's round postponed by rain. Saturday rain delay, play called with six players left on course. Monday finish.

1984 - Play suspended Saturday with 19 players on course.

1989 - Third round suspended. 12 players finished Sunday morning.

1992 - Third round suspended with six players on course.

1993 - Second round suspended, 10 players finished Saturday morning.

1995 - Fog delay of 45 minutes Friday.

1998 - Ninety-minute delay Thursday morning. Play suspended at 7:40 p.m. due to darkness with 10 players on course.

1999 - Play suspended Thursday.

2003 - 1st Round washed out for the first time in 64 years.

2004 - Play delayed just after 4 p.m. for about two hours on Thursday. Play suspended at 7:45 p.m. with 18 players on the course.

2005 - Thursday's round delayed, suspended due to darkness with 68 players on the course. Second and third rounds suspended. Sunday finish.

2006 - Play suspended Saturday.

2008 - Start of play delayed due to fog on Thursday.

Care to guess which course this is, Zag? Since my knowledge is threatening to you, I'll leave that to you. But they play real golf there, too.

7. zagoshe

No no no links golf is what every golf course ever designed in this country was modeled after [\so-called golf experts who are really just British Open apologists and can't admit it]

8. zagoshe

Yes, yes because the Master's is synonymous with horrible weather like the British. And funny when there is bad weather at Augusta or just about any course in this country -- there is a delay. It took a damn near hurricane to get a delay at the British Open because "hey golf - an outdoor sport played in the summer by the way -- is supposed to be played in the wind and rain...." ::)

Please, make a relevant point and stop being a ridiculous apologist for a stupidly conceived tournament.

But hey - golfers in Texas had to play through the wind a few times!!!!!

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Keep moving those goalposts, Zag. Every time I point out a hole in your argument -- and it gets easier as this goes on -- you throw up another red herring.

"It's too windy... there are pot bunkers.... it's not golf." Waah, waah, waaah. But playing the game in a real estate tract (see any TPC course) is real golf.

I'm done. Revel in your ignorance that the place the freakin' game was invented isn't golf and the TPC Kidneystone Pass is the epitome of the game.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hats off to Oosthuizen. He was under par all four rounds and never cracked under the pressure of leading in a major for the first time. How many other major winners won it the very first time they had a lead on Saturday or Sunday?

Will be interested to see where his career goes from here.

Only disappointment was the margin of victory. I really would have loved to see it come to the final holes, or perhaps a playoff like 2007 and 2009. Oh, well, maybe next year at Royal St. George's.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The only thing funnier than these beatdowns is the fact that the target consistently fails to realize just how badly he is owned by people who, you know, actually have a grasp of the facts. :D

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great post. If we just talked about golf, we'd agree all the time. :)

The Canadian Open is being played this week at St. George's here in Toronto, a course designed by Stanley Thompson. Thompson trained a number of American golf architects,including Robert Trent Jones. The two of them were partners for a few years.

Thompson's courses are traditional, fair but demanding. Probably the best known in Canada is the Banff Springs.

Here's a list of Thompson designed US Golf Courses.

http://www.stanleythompson.com/courses/united-states/

When I was a kid I caddied and played at another Thompson course, the Burlington Golf & Country Club so I'm kinda predisposed to his designs

And if you want to play some great links golf on this side of the Atlantic, you can't do any better than Highland Links on Cape Breton--another Thompson course-- or Crowbush on PEI, designed by Thomas McBroom

Our next door neighbour is member of the St. George's ground crew and when the PGA came by to inspect the course last week, they had nothing but good things to say.

I still wish they didn't hold this tournament right after the British Open. Too many big names take a pass on a tournament which was once considered a major.

Draft saved Draft deleted