1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Rory is killing the opening round, could shoot 63.
    Daly posts a 66.
    Tiger was 4-under through 13.

I am going to be useless the next two days at work .. watching the Open. It is my favorite. No question.

With old guys contending for majors in recently, I like Monty to contend this weekend.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

Re: Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010 thread

I'm surprised Daly is near the head of the pack. I thought he was on a smaller circuit tour rather than the PGA Tour.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Daly should have been 9-10 under. He lipped a few birdie putts.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It must say something about a golf course when its only defense is a 30-mph wind. I love the British Open, but I'll find something else to do if Sunday's leaders are threatening 20 under. The 18th at St. Andrews might be the weakest hole ever played in a major.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Woods has to like sitting at -5 after round 1.

No way Daly holds up, although Guinness stock might be a good buy today.

A Tiger/Rory showdown on Sunday would be fun to watch.

6. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

If you understand links golf at all, you know it would be ridiculously cruel to trick this course out any more, considering the wind howls off the North Sea about 364 days a year and there are already hazards (thick, tall fescue and deep bunkers) that would make the average weekend hacker cry for his momma.

Can the best players in the world make the Old Course look pretty benign when the wind is down? Sure. If the wind stays down and it rains enough to keep everything soft, 20-under isn't unrealistic.

Then again, there's almost zero chance that the wind stays away for all four days (it's already forecast to be a doozy this afternoon) -- and in that case, the scores will more likely come back closer to par on the weekend. With a 30 mph wind, it will be almost impossible to find the fairway on a lot of holes without a lot of luck.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of the commentators had a great line, Canizares found the Road Hole (17) bunker and he had to putt in the bunker to get a shot out, played out then one putted; "Well there's a two putt bogey"

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Yang with a nice 67. Mickelson finding new ways to attract trouble on the course.

Conditions are getting worse = tournament will get fun.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Dumb question: ESPN is calling this the 150th Open, but the AP says it's the 139th. What gives?

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Might be the 150th year of the Open but the 139th actual tournament (not sure if they canceled it in time of war or not).

Mickelson with a double and another nasty shot. Let's say he isn't going to make the cut.

11. Re: Young Tom Morris Memorial thread ... The Open 2010 thread

Duval, Furyk, Jerry Kelly, Rickie Fowler and Ben Curtis all sucked ass today.
    Choi and Leonard are playing their way to a short tournament as well.

12. CR19

CR19 Member

Are you sure? ESPN's name for the tournament is "The 139th British Open."

Draft saved Draft deleted