1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young, rich and stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wasn't Kenny Anderson also the one who, during the strike, complained that he had to cut down on his "walking around money", which was something like $20,000?

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I thought it was JDV's latest video.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And the response of 97% of the public will be: Touuggggggghhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiittttttttttttt.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Not surprising. Those are young guys who aren't savvy about money. They're probably all trying to live like they're in a Jay-Z video while getting their pockets picked by crooks, hangers-on and baby mamas. I'm sure the numbers are damn near the same for all pro athletes and entertainers who hit it big. I remember years ago there was a story about how Jack Clark, the former baseball player was broke, despite being a solid pro for a long time...he had a dozen luxury cars.
    The unions ought to offer mandatory classes on how to handle that kind of money...or have an approved list of financial advisors.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm pretty sure the NBA and NFL both offer such classes nowadays to incoming rookies.

Now, it doesn't guarantee they'll follow the advice, but they are trying.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can tell you that MLB has had classes like that for years.

In fact, there's all kinds of orientation for youngsters offered by the leagues -- up to and including why a player should learn to develop a "baseball" signature (that's noticeably different from his legal signature) and why he shouldn't ever sign his autograph on a notecard (too easy for identity theft).

And these things were being taught to rookies 40 years ago.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This doesn't surprise me. Handing millions of dollars to a 22-year old punk who strives to be the most ridiculous episode of Cribs? Good luck with all that.

You really expect him to invest 20 percent of that dough in stocks and 401k's? How's that supposed to make his dick feel bigger?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I figured this was a Paris Hilton thread.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A friend of mine says some can live better on 20-grand a year than a million bucks. (saving for retirement, being smart with money). I used to think that was BS, but looking at this, it makes sense.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I think Shrub should rethink his stimulus package... giving pro athletes $161 billion would be a GUARANTEE to stimulate the economy...

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You imply that he hasn't tried...

Let's just say that the position is still available and open to all users of Monster.com.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

You asked for it ...

Draft saved Draft deleted