1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young Gun for Hire Looking for Advice From Old Hands

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by El_Sol, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I second this.

When I hear the place didn't have wifi so I had drive 30 minutes home to write and file, I think lazy so-and-so who is not prepared.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There is NO WAY at my first job I could have afforded a smart phone. I can barely afford one now.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Voice/data plans are getting cheaper. Boost or Metro PCS have plans for $50/mo. or less. And the phone's free. And it's tax deductible.

And most of these kids are already paying for a cell/txt plan.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got two BlackBerrys for 99 bucks and an unlimited data plan - for both - for 49.99 a month.
    They're not the most advanced out there, far from it. But I can do everything but file a story on them and I could probably do that if necessary. I can blog, tweet, blog some more and even take a somewhat decent picture.

My son got a Droid. He paid about 100 for it, got a rebate on top of that. Pays 69 or so a month for online and the actual phone service. Sumbitch e-mails me, g-chats me, updates his Facebook page and a whole lot more.

It's amazing what these phones can do. Mine is the lowest of the low levels.

I paid more for my first digital recorder than I did my phone.

And, if you are using it for work, EXPENSE it or, as FarmerJ noted, at least deduct it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if you don't have a smart phone, you ought to be able to scout out a Starbucks or McDonald's or topless bar with wifi that you can send from.

6. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I can't wait till tax season when I figure out the deductions I can throw out there. Since I get most of my assignments via email to my blackberry, and sometimes use it as an audio recorder when the battery on my Olympus is running low, I'm sure I can write most of this off. This will be my first year reporting significant freelance wages to the point where I'm a little concerned.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I hate to tell you this my friend, but I've come to the realization that cell phones do not take decent pictures. It's all wishful thinking.
    :)

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you work full time, it's up to the paper to give you the tools to do the job. If you freelance, it's on you.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ditto that. And it's not even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted