1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You'll need to read USA TODAY for NASCAR...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 22, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Because you won't find it in Sports Weekly. There was a note in today's edition saying it's beefing up its baseball coverage for 2007 (HALLELUJAH!!), going back to more college baseball, and adding some college football coverage. NASCAR won't be in the weekly edition but will still get plenty of love from USA TODAY and from the special editions USAT puts out.

I personally would love to see the day Baseball Weekly returns, but I know it won't happen. My view is this is a good move. Thoughts?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed.

Baseball Weekly was a top-notch read. The closer we get to returning to that, I'm all for it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How about that.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

well, bbw wasn't a top-notch buy for advertisters. thus, the additions of football and then nascar, in an effort to attract more revenue.

5. espnguy

espnguy Member

Wonder what that means for USAT's Fab Four and what they'll be doing from now on: Nate Ryan, Seth Livingstone, Gary Graves and A.J. Perez? They're all good guys; hopefully nothing happens to their jobs now that SW is scaling back motorsports coverage. Gary and Seth are also good baseball writers, so they should land back on their feet. As for A.J. and Nate, maybe they'll be the daily's chief beat writers for motors.

I bet NASCAR is REAL pleased (NOT) about this change of course. Don't you think it's pretty embarrassing that the so-called No. 2 spectator sport in the U.S. can't survive in a pub like SW. Could this mean NASCAR's popularity has peaked and USAT is getting off the boat before it sinks?

6. About time. What a disaster of an idea that was. Stick to sports with balls...

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

More NASCAR coverage. More jobs for NASCAR writers. Although, as it is, I only buy two copies of Sports Weekly a year: before fantasy football draft and fantasy baseball draft. Is that a bad thing?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm pretty sure SW's auto writers will be cycled back into USA TODAY's coverage. Sounds like SW is going back to baseball and football, the sports that worked for them in the first place. I'd much rather see the Baseball Weekly section come back in some way, but I understand football sells.

If it ever comes to pass that SW folds up, I wouldn't even mind seeing baseball get a bonus section each week. Same for football on Fridays during the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted