1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You'll have to kill the OSU president if you want college football playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're not walking out on this one, mister!!

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The answer to the initial question is much simpler than anybody here is suggesting.
    Why doesn't the NCAA put its foot down and declare it is taking over Division I-A?
    Because the NCAA is Ohio State, the Big Ten, Alabama, the SEC, the Pac-10, etc. The membership IS the NCAA. They make the rules. There's not some all-powerful commish in Indianapolis making these calls. The membership of the NCAA, however foolishly, has decided they want this bowl crap as their postseason. And so that's what they keep in place. The NCAA is not "autocratic." That's a misdiagnosis of how the organization operates.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wetzel makes a good point about how, this year, the Big 10 is actually the conference screwed over most by no playoff. Looks like they'll finish with three 11-1 Top 10 teams. With a playoff, all three would be very much still in the national championship hunt. As it is, all three are out. Don't suppose that fact will sway the opinions of any B10 bigwigs, though.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

They don't care because they'll still have two teams in BCS bowls, which would be almost the same amount of cash whether one was in the NC game or not. Wetzel's book is really good. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this subject.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It makes Gee's case look a bit better because he's arguing against his school's immediate interests in favor of something larger, at least as he views it.

Too bad Boise State can't merge with Gonzaga for athletic purposes.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana are just happy to be considered a "murderers row."

Of course, maybe he was more influenced by his time at Vanderbilt, when every school looked great because the Commodores were always the cupcake other teams feasted on.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Actually, as an Indiana alum, I'd be happy if IU left the Big Ten and went to the Big Least. The competition -- in terms of talent and facilities -- is more on a par with IU's and there's a significantly better shot at a bowl bid each year (and maybe a BCS bowl), which is very difficult to pull off in the Big Ten. It's no fun being Ohio State and Wisconsin's cannon fodder every year.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's an interesting idea (I too am an Indiana alum, as crimsonace knows). As long as the Bucket game was protected, I can't say I'd miss any other Big Ten football game (since virtually none are winnable). And for hoops it would be a heckuva move. Would never happen, but it's a fun daydream.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Two BCS bowls and the cartel cash that comes with it -- AND a float down Colorado Boulevard on Jan. 1. Why change what's worked so well for 90 years or so?

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

71-3, anyone? :D

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

*just threw up in his mouth* [/GUClassof06]

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

More Chip failings. Trying to talk trash when they finish with the same 2-6 record. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted