1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You'll have to kill the OSU president if you want college football playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

“As far as a playoff system is concerned, there will not be one,” (Ohio State president Gordon) Gee said. “They will wrench a playoff system out of my cold, dead hands. It’s too much of moving toward having universities being farm clubs for the pros.”

http://cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=391449&Category=17&subCategoryID=30

More from Gee here:

http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10528331

Guess we'll be waiting awhile!

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a playoff proponent but Gee's reasoning against one is ridiculous. I guess the NCAA should cancel the men's hoops tournament took keep basketball from becoming a farm system for the NBA.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The way to the presidents' hearts and pockets is to figure out a way to keep the bowl revenues intact, but add home games in the early rounds for the fat-cats. They never say no to new money.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

We could get an SportsJournalists.com hit squad together for a road trip to Columbus.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Do we have to stop with Gee? I'd be fine with wiping THE whole "university" off the face of the earth.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He took several large steps in that direction when at Vanderbilt, as I'm sure you know.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hate the Big Ten.
    They have the 1950s mindset that getting to the Rose Bowl is the be-all, end-all of college football. They have no concept of embracing new traditions -- the most shocking thing in that entire article was the part about switching up the Big Ten schedule -- and because they have a couple of powerhouse programs that run roughshod over the rest of a mediocre conference they have enough power to single-handedly keep 100 other programs from moving forward into the 21st century.
    Fuck Gordon Gee, fuck Michigan and Ohio State, and fuck the Big Ten.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gordon Gee: PLAGIARIST!

[​IMG]

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the entire "Our shit doesn't stink" attitude of the Fat 10. Only the Fat 10 has launched its own television network and attempted to strong arm cable companies into accepting it. God DAMN any organization that forces me to actively root for Comcast. The Fat 10 is the Mid-American Conference with Ohio State and Michigan.

And what the hell happens if the SEC, BIg XII, Pac-10 and Big East all decide, "fuck this. Lets work on a playoff?" Do we get a playoff system sans Fat10 because Bowtie Boy doesn't want one? Would we really miss out on anything if that were the case?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And another point...
    Doesn't Ohio State regularly boast how it has more former players on NFL rosters than any other school?
    If Gordon Gee is so concerned about college football becoming "farm clubs for the pros", does that mean he will no longer allow Ohio State's media guide to include information about how many of its former players are in the NFL?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I could see it happening. The Pac-10 isn't as militant as the Big 10, but both conferences are the biggest obstacles to a playoff. The SEC and Big 12 have already floated proposals, the ACC is on board and the Big East would likely go along with the other three. But the Big 10 and Pac-10, along with the Rose Bowl, keep it from happening because a playoff with Michigan, Ohio State, USC or whoever else would come out of the Pac-10 wouldn't be seen as legitimate.
    Like how back in the 1990s the Rose Bowl was dragged kicking and screaming into what eventually became the BCS, it'll have to be dragged into this too. It might take the other four BCS conferences saying "to hell with ya, we're doing this and you can go play in a traditional, meaningless Rose Bowl for all we care," to make it happen.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Big Ten was the first, but is not the only conference throwing together a TV network and trying to strong-arm cable companies into picking it up.

COMCAST is working with the SEC to do *exactly* the same thing. And it would be on basic cable in SEC territory on Communistcast systems. The SEC and Comcast deserve each other, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted