1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You yell 'shark' and we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did you read the book recounting this?

http://www.amazon.com/Harms-Way-Indianapolis-Extraordinary-Survivors/dp/0805066322

I've been even more stone-cold scared of sharks ever since.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

in the book, the mayor owes money to the mafia so that is why he fights to keep the beaches open...the mafia needed the profits from rental units or something to that affect.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They made a mediocre TV movie about the Indianapolis in the early 90s called "Mission of the Shark," with Stacy Keach as the ship's captain and Richard "John Boy" Thomas as the ship's doctor. They filmed many of the on-ship scenes at the USS Alabama in Mobile, which is just down the road from my hometown.

My mom got to be an extra in the movie. She didn't have any lines, but she's clearly visible as "Woman at Party" during the opening credits.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with him fighting to keep the beaches open. Whether it's the mafia pushing him or just him trying to get through a couple of days without an incident, his motivation on the issue is understandable.
    But after he's on TV saying the beaches are safe -- yet was well aware there was a killer shark nearby -- and then a half-dozen residents end up as shark poop in a span of 10 minutes? When the news cameras are there and rolling?
    Brody sure as hell wasn't going to cover for Vaughn and say he didn't know about the shark. Neither would Dreyfuss. And the one kid's mother who slaps Brody makes it clear it was public knowledge that a shark was lurking.
    What kind of re-election campaign can you run at that point? That's like getting caught with a dead hooker AND a live boy.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hooking a live shark with a dead boy in its belly?

6. cyclingwriter

Maybe his opponent had a dead hooker and a live boy....but I do see your point.

Though, he probably blamed immigrants/unions/Republicans...

7. cyclingwriter

not quite a great white

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/07/11/expert_cape_cod_shark_may_have_been_harmless/

8. bigpern23

Fixed.

There were also at least two confirmed sightings of Great Whites off Chatham in the days before that photo was snapped.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

In my humble opinion, a shark is a shark and not to be messed with. I have the same theory regarding snakes.

10. Coolest shark video you will see today. Taken in South Carolina

.be

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Keep reeling, baby! Awesome.

12. bigpern23

In fairness, if it was a basking shark as the expert believes, they are filter feeders, not active predators.

Basking sharks, though, are much larger than white sharks. It's impossible to tell the size of the shark in that picture without it's tail fin visible, but the harbormaster -- who confirmed the sighting by boat -- is quoted as estimating its size to be 12-14 feet. That's about 10 feet smaller than the average adult basking shark.

Draft saved Draft deleted