1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't have Fireman Ed to kick around any more

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He certainly looks disabled here.

2. This is what happens when you have brothers on the pension/retirement committee.
    Everybody wins!

Except the taxpayers.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I think it's unfair for poindexter to paint all firefighters with the "scam!" brush. But I have a personal bias in this case, so I won't argue it.

I will say that my relative who is a firefighter is no fan of firefighters - or any other public service employee - who tries to game the system.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tons of public employee scams, which cost taxpayers billions, all over the country.

Yet very few whistleblower stories from the inside.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Railroad employees take the cake:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/nyregion/charges-in-lirr-disability-scheme.html?pagewanted=all

I'd have to look for the right article, but the percentage who took disability retirements is staggering.

6. YankeeFan

Here we go:

7. Boom_70

He had just ended a shift that morning and was home when one plane — then two — slammed into the World Trade Center towers. There was no immediate call for Anzalone or his truck to report to Ground Zero, but as Anzalone watched the smoke pouring from the buildings, he quickly grasped the tragedy.

And as he feared for those in the buildings, the danger his fellow firefighters would face came to light.

“I knew when those buildings were hit, a lot of our guys were going to die that day,” Anzalone told Metro.

Stations in Lower Manhattan were the first to respond, then Midtown and Brooklyn. His station in Harlem waited in frustration for a phone call sending them down to help in the search for survivors. The phone finally rang and his truck drove down to the pile of twisted concrete and rubble the following night.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/article/966225--fireman-ed-remembers-lost-friends

8. YankeeFan

It's not 100% clear from the article that he wasn't on the truck when it went.

But, if he was working overnight, and went home, that's fucked up. Most trucks carried two shifts to the Towers that morning -- the guys that worked overnight, and the guys who had just come in.

Hell, if you remember the CBS 9/11 documentary filmed by the two french brothers, they leave the probie at the house. Then, the retired captain shows up, grabs some gear, and the probie, and heads downtown.

9. Boom_70

Article is clear that his truck did not go until the next night. Also states his shift had ended and he was home the morning of 9 / 11. I heard him tell the story on WFAN that he was crossing the Whitestone Bridge on his way home when the all hands on deck call came in and he opted to continue driving home.

As you mentioned there are plenty of stories off off duty firemen going to the towers that morning.

Instead of being FDNY sysmbol of 9 /11, Firemen Eddy is the symbol of what is wrong with the NYS Public Employee disability system.

10. poindexter

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If only this iPad had a reach-through-the-screen function.

12. poindexter

You'd be making a big donation to help the firefighters get their ice machine?

Draft saved Draft deleted