1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won't believe what happened on the golf course today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

A guy in the group in front of me had a heart attack right on the green. His partners did CPR on him. Course marshals came with a defillibrator. After 15 mins, the paramedics came and did all kinds of stuff to the guy. I'm not doctor, but it did not look like it was going very well.

The guy, I was told, was 75. In the group was his son, who was in his 30s or 40s.

To be honest, seeing the son freaked me out a lot more than seeing the dad. I can't even imagine.

They took the guy away in an ambulance, and I heard later that he died.

It was a surreal experience to see it all.

In answer to your next question, we finished the round. It was actually a charity tourney. There was a little bit of a delay as they tried to decide what to do, and then one of the organizers said this guy would have wanted everyone to finish, since there's nothing else that could be done. Needless to say the rest of the round was kind of uninspired.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's awful...

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Did they wave your group through?

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You should have played through.

5. jps

jps Active Member

tg ... gotta think that's a d_b, to be honest. of a post directly above yours. written almost 90 minutes ago.

shape up.

I expect more of you.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

jps, expecting anything of anyone here is just a prescription for disappointment.

And BB, not saying you did anything wrong, but I can't imagine finishing the round after that. I'd pack it in and go tip a glass in honor of the man.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

This happens more than you think......awful.

8. jps

jps Active Member

I know. if people would just take 30 seconds to run a quick search of previous posts, problem solved!
    ;)

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad told me a similar story from his boyhood caddie days. Guy in his group walked off the 18th green, had a heart attack and died.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

[​IMG]

This is what I was hoping for.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If he had actually died right there, I'm sure we would have stopped. However, at the time, he was alive when they took him in the ambulance, so we all had a sort of "I hope he's going to be OK" feeling.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to be an insensitive prick, but it's not as if you knew the guy in any way. Why would you stop? Life goes on.

Same thing happened to me in 2004 when I went to the Deutsche Bank ... it was insanely hot that day and an older gentleman dropped near the merchandise tent. Paramedics worked on him all the way into the ambulance, but my friend and I are pretty sure he was already gone. I think they just didn't want it to be obvious they were wheeling off a dead person.

We stopped for a few minutes, kind of reflected on what had happened and then went on with our lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted