1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Won't Believe What Happened in Orlando Next ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Given my prowess at Pitfall on Activision/Atari, I'd give myself a 95 percent chance of going left to right across that screen without getting killed. 100 percent if I've been drinking.

Steak Snabler, Batman, X-Hack and 7 others like this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Best game ever.

Batman, Songbird and JackReacher like this.
  3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

More heartfelt posts on social media about this. Wonder what these posters will be having for lunch? Guess I'll find out shortly.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think now is the time to be revising the Urban Meyer era.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's no way to keep gators out of that lake. It connects to too many bodies of water.

Google Maps

6. Mr. Sunshine

Alligator buyback program?

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We just need more good alligators to stop the bad ones.

Ace likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Count me as one who would have never thought that this would be an issue at Disney. Been to that spot as well, though not as a parent. Obviously not very experienced with Florida, though. Still, for all those who are saying should have known, or don't go by the water at night or any other of numerous things trying to make excuses or blame, how many gator attacks have happened at Disney World in its history? It would appear it is now one. How many thousands upon thousands of people have done just what this family did last night? So obviously the risk is pretty freaking minimal. But everyone will know now and there certainly will be better signs and warnings, as there should be.

Like many here this is just heart wrenching just because you picture a kid that age just having fun and a family that probably looked forward to that trip for a long time. Losing a kid is always unthinkable, but this goes beyond. Especially at that place. It's just awful.

9. Mr. Sunshine

I'm not sure losing your child to an alligator attack would be less terrible elsewhere.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But you definitely have your guard down at Disney. For everything.

I doubt that the parents would have been anywhere near the water if they were at one of those lakes dq was talking about in South Carolina.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, at Disney, I'd be more worried about pedophiles than alligators.

Until now, that is.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There are other reasons not to stick a toe in that water as well - namely that fresh water lakes/ponds in that part of Florida can have a brain-eating amoeba (yes really) called Naegleria fowleri that kills almost everyone it infects. You don't even have to swim in the water to get it - getting infected water on your hands and wiping your nose would work. It's pretty rare, but Florida lakes are really high risk for it, and they've had one kid die of it after exposure from that lake water before.

(I'm just imagining warning signs with pictures of gators and something eating a brain to tell people why they should stay out of untreated water.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.