1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You won by what - 100-2? How dare you! We may cancel your season!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Nov 28, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Yahoo! has this knack for raising the wusses in society to poor-victim level. Here's another such example:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/100-2-middle-school-hoops-blowout-may-have-reper?urn=highschool-wp9112#mwpphu-container

Team wins 100-2, calls off the press after a few minutes and sends the starters to the bench, quits playing defense at all and still wins by this margin; but apparently a few board members want to cancel the season due to poor sportsmanship.

Damn.

This is the same mentality that feels sorry for the F students, so let's dumb down the programs to make them feel better.

These board members must really hate basketball, considering this is in Kentucky. Maybe the board members need to be replaced.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's nothing untoward whatsoever about the guy coaching the same players on his AAU team, and that everything is on the up-and-up and those kids who are among the best players in the nation just live in that school district by pure happenstance. No basketball factory intended there.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

They won the championship game by three points. That doesn't sound like a basketball factory to me. If it is, he's doing a poor job. That should have been a 30-point win.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

These stories come up every year. In Minnesota over the weekend, Hopkins beat Minneapolis North in girls hoops 94-14. Bad. Halftime score? 80-0. Really bad. And North used to be the dominant program in the state just a few years ago but the school's lost a ton of kids to open enrollment and is on the verge of closing.

Nobody needs to be shut down. The kids will be okay, on both sides.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They should shut down the losing team's season.

Seriously, I fail to see how a team could "stop playing defense" for an entire half and the opponent scores just two points.

So I don't quite believe the coach on the winning team. Or he doesn't have a handle on his players.

The game should have been stopped at halftime or a running clock instituted early on. No reason to prolong that lopsided mess.

I don't see how you can punish the winning team for that.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Say what now?

Also, for anyone who pronounces the words out loud in their head as they read, it's said "Pockvuhl." My mom started work in Lexington after moving from Ohio. She worked in a uniform supply store, and took an order. "Potville?" my mom said. "No, POCKVUHL. P-I-K-E-V-I-L-L-E."

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I second shutting down the losing team. 2 points? I don't care who's playing who, but if you can't score more than 2 points in a basketball game, well, you really need to work on finding a different hobby.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You're going to shut down the losing team's program? Brilliant. Most of these kids are probably playing organized ball for the first time. Sorry, girls, you might have found a sport you like and can play recreationally for the rest of your life, but you suck now, so it's not worth the effort.

Especially because they're in a poor area of the country, we need to tell these kids right now that they shouldn't bother trying anything, because they're just going to lose anyway.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Let's get this straight though. It's the winning team some warped board members want to shut down.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. I would be very very surprised if this is truly the first incident that has ruffled feathers regarding this team. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the winning team included some players who by school boundary definitions should have been on the losing team, but applied for a transfer because of the "unique educational opportunities" offered at the other school.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can blame the team or coach considering it says he took all five starters out and called off the press only one minute and 48 seconds into the game and then later instructed his players "to stop playing defense." What more was he supposed to do? Sounds like this one could've been 200-0 if they'd really sought to pour it on.

If we need someone to blame, perhaps the board ought to look to the scheduling instead of trying to blame either team. Extreme mismatches like this simply should not be played. Perhaps somebody should've seen it coming and stepped in before tipoff.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I want to read a story about the kid who scored a basket to cut the final margin to 98.

Draft saved Draft deleted