1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You wish you were as good as this Hack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Petrie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

[​IMG]

Random perusing of baseballreference.com led me to Hack Wilson. His 1930 season with the Cubs was scary good: .356, 56 HR, 191 RBI...plus 105 BB and just 84 K.

Damn.

Granted, Hack's a Hall of Famer, but he doesn't come into discussion often among the greatest hitters. That season, though, is damn close to as good as it gets.

Other great seasons like this come to mind?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Psh. Zombrano's hitting .355.

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

His power numbers are dipping, though. Had 6 HRs in '06...

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I, too, wish I was as good as that Hack.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never happen. :D

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wilson had one legendary season (albeit in the friendliest year hitters ever had) and a couple of other great ones. The rest of the time, he was fat, drunk and stupid. Doesn't deserve to bementioned among the all-time best.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So his nickname was Flounder?

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Lou Gehrig

1927: .373-47-175
    1930: .379-41-174
    1931: .341-46-184

Scary. I'm rather biased in favor of numbers post-WWII, but that's still insane.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through a season, son.

And as great as Hack's season was, you can pick from any one of six of Ruth's seasons that were as good or better:
    1921: .378-59-171, 145 BB, 81 K, 17 SB
    1923: .393-41-131, 170 BB, 93 K , 17 SB
    1926: .372-47-150
    1927: .356-60-164, 137 BB, 89 K
    1928: .323-54-142
    1931: .373-46-163

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like a lot of guys who played for the Giants and Cardinals in the 20s and 30s (Wilson started his career in NYC), Hack may have benefited from Frankie Frisch being chairman of the Veterans Committee for all those years. He basically got all his old buddies who were halfway worth a damn in the Hall of Fame (though Frisch died five years before Wilson was elected).

That and one MONSTER season which I'm not sure was regarded in its time as highly as we regard it now. Telling stat: Wilson finished EIGHTH in the NL MVP balloting that year.

Plus, Wilson died young, less than 15 years after his playing career ended. As others have said, a legendary drinker.

Which leads me to the best quote I ever read about Hack Wilson, maybe the best quote I ever read about anyone:

"He was built along the lines of a beer keg, and not wholly unfamiliar with its contents."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Any season when you played any percentage of your games in Philly's Baker Bowl would help most folks' batting averages immeasurably.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In 1962, Tommy Davis had 153 RBIs despite playing half his games in Dodger Stadium. Partly due to injury, he never approached that number again. One of the most amazing (and non-steroid aided, unlike Brady Anderson's) career blips in baseball history.

Draft saved Draft deleted