1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You will be amazed if you read this obituary....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jul 8, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awesome. :D :D

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's epic. Certainly the first line grabs you.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stuff, from beginning to end.

No survivors mentioned, so I wonder who wrote it?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

From the story link attached to the obit:

The obit is rich with personal details, citing favorite watering holes, the fleecing of romantic interests and an arrest by heavily armed police. The obit includes little hint as to the identity of the anonymous author. Who wrote it? A former wife? An ex-business partner? A disgruntled victim of a con? Or had the unrepentant hustler played one last caper by writing his own unflattering farewell?

The answer can be found in a modest house outside Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, that is the home of the elder of Ferguson's two daughters from his first marriage.

Karen Shirley, a 53-year-old college philosophy instructor, wrote the obit shortly after joining her father in his final days at the hospital.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=george-ferguson&pid=171625687&

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

From the name in the link line, thought this might be about the former Leaf.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I figured JR and I would be the only two people who remembered that guy even existed.

If memory serves, he went to Pittsburgh with Randy Carlyle in a trade for Dave Burrows.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I still have a Topps card of him from, I guess, 1975 or so.

I was re-reading Tiger Williams's book recently and seem to recall Tiger thinking Carlyle was somewhat of a floater in his early days.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I love that book, especially considering he was still an active player when he wrote it and he was not charitable toward more than a few current and former teammates and opponents, many of whom were also still active at the time. I'm pretty Ferguson and Carlyle were two of those people.

Tiger was a bit iffy on some facts, though - for instance, he claimed Lanny McDonald took the puck from him to score the OT winner in '78 against the Islanders, but the reality is that McDonald knocked down a pass from Ian Turnbull at the blue line. I don't even know if Tiger was on the ice at the time. It does make you wonder how true the rest of his stories are.

Draft saved Draft deleted