1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You want to play soccer? Not with that turban on!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The policy is misguided and grounded in racism IMO.

I have lived in a few parts of the country and travelled to most of it and have found that Quebec just has had the most intolerance (especially outside of Montreal) of anywhere I have been.

A former Premier blamed the sovereignty vote loss on Jews and immigrants and most of the province did not see the comments a s a big deal.

The current premier has floated it out there that if you can't speak French you should not be allowed to vote, not a lot of backlash over those comments.

I have no idea what this means.

I wish I had the language skill that bilingual folks have and have enrolled my kids in Spanish bilingual school. If you are somehow trying to imply that I am characterizing them because English is not the primary language you could not be more wrong.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Iron_chet

In a suprise to nobody it turns out the Quebec association over reached.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-soccer-assocation-steps-in-on-quebec-turban-ban-1.1315792

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hope the Canadian Soccer Association actually shows some back bone and comes down hard on the Quebec federation instead of just engaging in talk. Not sure what they can do to enforce it though without further hurting the kids.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Punish the hockey leagues in Quebec.

That'll put some teeth in it.

(Oh wait.)

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

There are times when I really like soccer.

Like when the World Cup qualifying games of late had a moment of silence for tornado victims, specifically referring to the elementary age soccer stud from Moore among the dead.

And, when they make a rule like this.

7. Iron_chet

It will be funny when you come back in the next life as a gay black man or some sort of brown person who has customs different from your own, Karma has a sense of humnour.

That is of course after your turn as a dung beetle.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What is it you like about this rule?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are there pins in a turban?

10. dog eat dog world

Hindu fantasy of yours.

11. Iron_chet

Glad you are so sure.

Dog eat Dog sounds like the name of an oral host in a leather bar. Foreshadowing how you will be re-incarnated perhaps.

12. dog eat dog world

Well then maybe the Mooslims will issue a fatwa against Canadian soccer with a rider that includes the MSL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.