1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You want to play soccer? Not with that turban on!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

From our enlightened neighbours in Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/06/03/montreal-observant-sikhs-left-out-of-soccer-turbans-banned.html

Just absolutely ridiculous. Apparently wearing a turban is a safety concern in soccer, even if the Quebec Soccer Federation can't say why. Only place in Canada you cannot wear a turban and play soccer.

For this and many other reasons, Quebec is the most screwed up province in this country.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Yup. I find Quebec to be the most racist / ignorant province in the country, seem to where it like a badge of honour.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised they singled out turbans. When I was a kid, you weren't allowed to wear anything on your head while playing soccer. I would think the simple fact that wearing anything on your head makes it more difficult to be accurate with a header would discourage any devoted soccer player from doing it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In the interest of fairness, they should ban all headgear, including helmets. Might provide a competitive advantage when heading the ball.

5. Is it a racist policy or misguided?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who wears a helmet playing soccer?

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

haven't watched too many Chelski games lately?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Petr Čech

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. That's the douchiest athlete look ever.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I thought the Canadians were more tolerant than San Fransiscans. Apparently not.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He suffered a skull fracture a few years ago. He's worn it since returning from that.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yeah, if only they would Speak White. ::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.