1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You wanna go faster? Raise your hands if you want college football to go faster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: You wanna go faster? Raise your hands if you want college football to go fas

The Himalaya is, without a doubt, the best carnival ride ever invented.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nowhere in this post did you place blame on Mitch Albom, Larry Brown, Gene Hackman, George Perles, the guy who scrubs toilets in Michigan Stadium, Tom Izzo or the entire adult population of Wayne County. Frankly, I expect better out of you.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You'll have the same number of commercial breaks and less game time, just like the last time they did this. How does adopting an NFL rule ensure the games are still high-scoring? Last time I checked, there weren't many 48-41 games in the NFL.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I disagree with changing the face-mask rule. There's a big difference between a brief grab that is clearly accidental and nearly ripping the guy's head off.

Just like the last time they changed the clock rules, I say why not just make the quarters shorter if the intent is for games to have fewer plays?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I love college football, I want it to go longer... What will I watch when it is over?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's not like they ever call horse collar tackles anyway.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Starting the clock after the runner goes out of bounds is a stupid idea. Once again TV, which is the reason college games take three fucking hours, is asking the NCAA to fix the problem they caused by taking plays out of the game.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That caught my eye too. There has to be two divisions of enforcement there. I can see refs erring on the side of calling too many 15-yarders.

And I'll expect to see the no-warning 5-yard sideline penalty called about once a decade.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No more sideline warnings? Good thing Lloyd Carr retired; he's the last of a long line of Michigan coaches who crowded the field.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm OK with restarting the clock after going out. Can live with it being stopped. But a much better rule change that doesn't appear to be in there is the stopping of the clock after every .... single .... first down.
    Do that in the last two minutes of each half and I'm fine. But there's no need to do it with 13:55 left in the first quarter.
    The 40-second play clock is a good idea. There is too much inconsistency by refs on when they mark the ball and start it.

Draft saved Draft deleted