1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You, too, can be nominated for a Pulitzer -- if you have $50

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Sep 18, 2009.

1. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Update:

Mr. Plaschke's bio has been updated:

"He has been a Pulitzer Prize entrant."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-columnist-bplaschke,0,7284323,bio.columnist

Just so we're clear: This is a claim to fame that any newspaper employee in the United States can add to his or her bio, merely by having the newspaper send in an entry form and $50, or by sending in that entry form yourself. Such an honor!

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Dude, if you'd accomplished 1/1000 of what Plaschke has, you'd have better things to worry about.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

'Deed I have.

4. KVV

KVV Member

As Michael Douglas says in The American President...

"Let's take him out back and beat the shit out of him!"

My paper twice nominated me for a Pulitzer in feature writing. I had nothing to do with it. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with saying your paper nominated you for the Pulitzer in such and such year. They can only nominate, I believe, one story or columninst in each category. (I might be wrong, but I think that's correct.) So you can, I think, credibly argue that the paper felt your work represented the best of what they did that year.

We now return to the regularly scheduled pointless flogging of Bill Plaschke.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Looks like Buster Olney has tried the same thing:

Buster Olney's online bio says, "Olney has twice been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize award for his writing (1997, 1998)."

http://www.espnmediazone.com/bios/Talent/Olney_Buster.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted