1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You thought it was bad when reporters plagiarized?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Nov 13, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So there's no range of offense available in the case of the Ol' Perfessor, from, say, misdemeanor to capital crime? It's all death penalty, regardless of scope, frequency or intention?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's a misdemeanor, but his pompous attitude makes it hard to let him slide.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not saying put a needle in his arm. I just don't see how a professor (or anyone) does this w/o thinking it's wrong. His apologies sound more like he's bragging than trying to make amends.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Seems like a pretty good learning experience for the students at, what I have always been led to believe, was one of the top journalism institutions.

1. Punish and teach that plagiarism, in all instances, is wrong.
    2. Let it slide. And let THAT be the lesson for a university full of future journalists.

Seems pretty clear-cut from here.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Couldn't have said it better.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Maybe if he's a former professor already, the J-school can't punish him.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He's long retired from teaching. In this case the punishment was to take away his column. Does the punishment fit the crime?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Does he get paid for said column?

If he had written a genuine mea culpa instead of the "I'm better than anyone else" bullshit his explanation column was littered with, I'd be a bit less vituperative in any condemnation of him. But hoighty toighty attitudes are one of my major pet peeves. If you're arrogant, get the hell away from me.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

In my opinion, absolutely.

If you're going to make any kind of mistake in the punishment (and I don't think one was made, mind you), you err on the side of being too harsh. Leave the students there thinking "If they can do that to him, they sure as fuck won't have any tolerance for me plagiarizing."

Draft saved Draft deleted