1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You think *you're* paying a lot for gas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

OK, f'n carpool then.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic solution. Now, if I could only find four other people that want to wait for me while I layout pages until the sun comes up, i'll be all set!

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Quit causing trouble.

If I'm here at 1:30, the last thing I want to do is make someone wait on my ass to take me home.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Diesel is so expensive because it always goes up in the winter. Its basically home heating oil. people want to stay warm in the winter--hence diesel goes up. But its not just the truck drivers who have to pay more....the cost of transportation makes everything go up--at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, even the gas at the station has to get there somehow...So its not just when we fill up that we feel the pinch.

But, I am not here just to bitch....I will try to offer a solution.. 1. Nationalize gas. Just like the phone company used to be. profits go back to state and federal government to improve infastructure.

2. I think if Bush put out like a $1 bil. dollar prize to find real alternative energy sources, he would get his approval ratings into like the 20-percent range. That would spark the private sector and academia to work together. I realize there are some small steps being taken in this direction, but I still don't see a huge rush toward alt. energy.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just got done watching the documentary "Who killed the electric car" and i think you should all tune in and judge this matter for yourself.

With Toyota Prius' flying off the shelf and Americans outraged at the price of gas, I've really got to believe that the demand for more/better hyrids is only going to eventually kill the market for plain run of the mill cars. It may take decades, and we may never really see the end of the rocketing pump prices, but at least we know there is a way out.

Now, how do we get there? Well, i'll leave that to those smarter than myself to figure it out.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Love to, CFC.

Unfortunately, it sucks and blows various farm animals here in SoCal. The Metrolink is the biggest freakin' joke since the HOV lane. It takes you downtown... and very little else. This isn't mass transit. It's mass sodomy.

BTW, I posted on the how-much-did-you-pay-for-gas thread two weeks ago that I paid $3.91 for gas a mile from the Kahului Airport. About the only good thing about this is that unless you're driving from one end of the island to another, you don't have to drive very far on Maui.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From our department of Can You Top This?, Maui has been one-upped by Gorda, Calif.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/story/304197.html

Definitely time to get back on a motorcycle.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Anyone I could carpool with would have to go 10 miles out of their way to get me . . . 10 miles back to where they started . . . another 10 miles out of their way to take me home . . . and then another 10 miles back to get home themselves.

Aside from the fact that I would never ask anyone to do such a thing, the total extra travel for this person would be 40 miles . . . which just happens to me my round-trip distance to work. Miles saved by carpooling: ZERO.

Any other stupid f'n questions?

9. rube

rube Active Member

My man Kige Ramsey knows how to fix your gas problems ...

Watch and learn.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This post makes me want to grow a goatee and bang on a bongo for an hour.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm starting to understand who wrote "Soylent Green."

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've heard more elite horseshit about "Live near where you work, and use public trans". I've done it both ways, and believe me, that's the ideal, but, brother, not everyone can swing it. Working from home is looking better from both capital and labor's sides, every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted