1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You think *you're* paying a lot for gas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I regularly drive past a station where diesel is $4.39. It's really jarring to see a 4 as the first number.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Diesel here just went to 4.19

Unleaded 3.24

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

it's kinda like the first time the price of a car reached $10,000 on price is right.... :)

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Good thing the islands are small.

Oh, and Maui is in no way the best. The airports are awful and developers have their fangs into it almost as much as Oahu. You have to go to the Big Island or Kauai to find authentic Hawaii.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm buying a scooter.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They're nickel-diming the price up so when it hits $4, then inches down to $3.75, we'll be grateful. But enjoy those record profits.

One thing I noticed was the price of diesel. While regular is like 3.15 around here, diesel's up to 3.91...

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I drive 50 miles one way to work. I might start working from the house one day a week to see if that helps a little.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. It does help quite a bit. Between having Sundays off, covering our local teams when they play closer to the house instead of "at home," and maybe trading a desk shift for a day off, I end up getting gas about twice a week. That's still cheaper than paying for an apartment and splitting time between two cities.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Try Molokai.
    It don't get any more authentic than that, unless Nihau opens up for tourism.
    I was there in 1998 when gas on the mainland was a buck a gallon, it was $2 there.
    It has to be higher than Maui.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Paradise comes at a price, huh?

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Unless the movie stars and other rich recluses buy up the whole of Kauai, Nihau will probably remain largely untouched. Lots of luck getting infrastructure out there.

And you are correct, sir. Molokai and Lanai are already well over $4:
    http://starbulletin.com/2008/03/12/news/story01.html

As for my neck of the woods, 87 grade unleaded was $3.55 12 hours ago. A quick walk around the block tells me it's now $3.62.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

$4 a gallon? I wonder if our illustrious commander-in-chief has heard about that yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted