1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You suck" tweet gets PR staff of Kansas governor steamed up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A teen tweeted that she told Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback that he sucked during a visit to Topeka. The teen never spoke to the governor, but the governor's PR flunkies found the tweet while doing a search for any mention of their boss. The flunkies contacted the principal to demand the teen write an apology letter. The teen refused.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/kansas-teen-won-t-apologize-gov-brownback-over-145218154.html

Don't political flunkies have message boards to post on instead of chasing after Twitter users? I guess not.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Well, she's right. Apologize, my ass. For what? That hard-right jerkoff needs to grow a spine.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Dear Governor,
    Perhaps you should spend more time looking after the needs of your constituents, and less time worrying about what an 18-year-old girl writes on twitter.

Yours truly (and, yes, you still suck and won't be getting my vote),
    Emma Sullivan"

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Seriously, how thin-skinned is this tattletale Brownback? Besides the student in question is a legal adult and thus expecting her to make an apology she doesn't want to give is strange.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Brownback had any knowledge of the tweet before his office got worked up about it. His press secretary sounds like a brainwashed lackey.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No one does whining and sanctimony as well as Repubs.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This episode also shows that administrators are scared shitless that Brownback is going to slash their budgetary throats if they don't get in line. Hey, the guy cut every bit of arts funding. Why wouldn't he cut off funding to Shawnee Mission East, too?

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2011/11/28/meet-the-press-secretary-who-reported-a-teen-for-her-brownback-tweet/

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Governor has now apologized to her. Kinda.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/28/kansas-governor-apologizes-for-trying-to-discipline-student-over-rude-tweet/

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would absolutely let her lean through my car window in her A&W uniform.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

First Amendment of our beloved constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. ”

Draft saved Draft deleted