1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You only cover us when we run over pedestrians

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I got hit by someone while I was riding my bicycle in a completely legal manner. The coward drove off, I was left for dead, literally. As I've recounted here several times, a respiratory therapist named Mike Lewis was driving by, saw my crumped body, gave me CPR and saved my life. I was in an induced coma for days.

So, yeah, joking -- or worse -- about hitting bicyclists and pedestrians is fantastic. Aren't we all so clever and cute?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not joking about it. It happened. It sucked.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

TV, sounds like what happened to Stephen King, only worse.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I got hit once in high school. I got to school early and left campus to run to a convenience store about a block away. Crossing the street to go back onto campus, there were a bunch of cars stopped at the light so I slipped behind the lead one (a delivery truck, IIRC) and the second one to cross the street. As soon as I stepped out from between cars, a woman with her kid in the car came in a little too hot to the light and walloped me.
    It was like time froze for a split second. I realized I was going to get hit, and somehow had the presence of mind to jump and roll into the hood like a stuntman. She couldn't have been going more than 5-10 mph since she was slowing down for the light, but that little ninja move probably saved me from breaking my leg.
    I wound up bouncing off the car and onto the street, getting up and dusting myself off, a little dazed but otherwise fine, and continued on my way to homeroom. It wasn't until about 30 minutes later that I was sitting in geometry class and told someone, "Holy shit. I got hit by a car this morning."
    To this day I feel bad for that poor woman. It wasn't her fault at all, and there might have been some damage to her car. She must've been shaken up something fierce. I wonder if she tells the story about the incredibly surreal time this kid just walked out into the street, bounced off her car and continued on his merry way.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That almost reads like an Onion story. I mean, I know unions get a lot of flack (including from me) but now they are saying it's OK for a bus driver to strike a pedestrian?

I would be like if the police union defended a cop who was breaking into people's homes, executing the husband and raping the wife. Yes, I went over the top with that analogy to emphasis my point but that #letsbeperfect shit is ridiculous

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is a great story. Happy you weren't hurt and that I can laugh about it. Who knew so many members here have been hit by cars? TV, your story is horrifying. I can't even imagine. Glad you're still with us.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Agreed (with your point. The analogy is a bit much). How can you expect a law that exempts you from running over people?!?! If thats the case, i want a personal exemption from road rage, and from now on, i want legal authority to punish shitty drivers on the spot however i please.

Stupidest fucking thing i've ever heard, and this is exhibit A of why lots of people hate unions.

As for hitting people stories, i once hit a bicyclist, which is frustrating because i am one and hate drivers who don't share the road. Anyway, I was turning right onto a one-way street, so looking to my left at oncoming traffic. I see an opening, and as i start to pull out, a dude in a helmet and biking gear is sliding up my hood and windshield. He had been riding against traffic on the one-way street, and i didn't see him. He only ended up with cuts and bruises, though his bike frame got twisted and ruined.

We didnt call police, but i gave him my contact info. I offered to pitch in to help him buy a new bike, but he wanted me to pay for the whole thing. I was like, " You were riding the wrong way on a one-way street, i'm not taking full responsibility." Turned the case over to my insurance, who told him the same thing, and he got nothing.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The bus drivers feel like if cops can get away with choking out a guy selling loosies, they should be able to run over a pedestrian or two.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted