1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You only cover us when our dance team...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Jan 28, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'm not sure why what they're wearing is important, when as Kevin and I have both pointed out, volleyball players wear less.

In addition, I cannot comment on whether the girls were simulating sex acts, because I didn't watch the entire video. Let me repeat myself: I saw really, really bad dancing and turned it off.

And I am no more inclined to go watch it again, just to satisfy your perverse need to call me out.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The fact that they were so awful takes away from the "sexiness" of the routine.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My perverse need to call you out?

I'm just pointing out a hilarious double standard. You climb up on your moral cross on the Jessica Simpson thread, but then don't see anything wrong with high school girls being told the only way they can be noticed is if they wear scanty clothing and shake their asses for all to see.

As far as volleyball players wearing less, well, they aren't the center of attention because of what they are wearing, rather for the athletic competition going on.

So, that comparison doesn't really hold.

Next you'll say that swimmers wear less also, oh and softball players wear really tight clothing as well, so I guess it is all OK.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you are against objectifying Jessica Simpson for her looks, then you should be against objectifying all women because of their looks.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

What are you smoking today? I'm not objectifying these girls because of their looks. I'm calling them really, really bad dancers.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Bravo!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You have to figure that a good portion of America's current crop of strippers perfected their moves at dance-team practice after class.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

don't see anything wrong with high school girls being told the only way they can be noticed is if they wear scanty clothing and shake their asses for all to see.

As far as volleyball players wearing less, well, they aren't the center of attention because of what they are wearing, rather for the athletic competition going on.

OK, wait ... you're getting even more laughable by the word ... I have not anywhere said the only way they could get noticed is by doing this. If I have, please do point it out.

I'll say it one more time, I didn't watch the whole video and what I saw ... maybe the first 90 seconds ... was relatively innocuous.

And you're nuts if you don't think those volleyball uniforms aren't designed to draw attention to their looks. If they were designed for functionality, then the men players would be wearing the same type of uniform. When this regulation was enforced by FIVA, the national team from India had to argue for cultural respect, based on their opposition to wearing the FIVA-REGULATED uniform.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That routine was shameful in every respect.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You have to get to the 2:10 mark to see the alleged simulated blowjob bit. I had to watch it in full screen mode and look for it before I understood the possibility it could be taken that way.

And, if that was the intent (to simulate a blowjob), then sure, they should be disbanded. On the other hand, as has been repeated by almost everyone on this thread, that's a pretty terrible cheerleading routine regardless of any sexual innuendo.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is dance a state-sponsored high school sport in Georgia?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they were very large, smelly cows.

Draft saved Draft deleted