1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You only cover us when our chimpanzee attacks a visitor & is killed!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I love primates. What a sad story. The part about him retreating to his living quarters to die got me (even though he obviously had to be shot).

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A 200-pound chimp?

Is that, I hope, as big as those things get?

3. micke77

micke77 Member

BYH...I went ape shit over the headline you posted with this thread. It's the headline that draws readers to stories, right? ;D

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

NYP cover, BTW:

[​IMG]

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a great Post headline.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Even better, in the story, was the writer saying the chimp "went bananas."

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Proof positive, then, that it's still funny.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nice, chimp was on Xanax!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29227429?GT1=43001

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

When it comes down to it, it's the animal's primal survival instinct kicking in. Kill or be killed, and some kind of threat will always trigger that - even with house pets (cats and dogs, particularly), no matter how "domesticated" they may be.

What did Chris Rock say? "That tiger didn't go crazy! That tiger went tiger!"

I hate stories like this. Does someone REALLY need a chimp as a house pet? And WTF was that person doing giving Xanax to an animal?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw y'all wanting to be lawyers or sports management gurus or burger flippers. I'm going to be a vet pharmacist.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

Cougargirl.... i feel the same way when i read one of these types of stories. "Python kills longtime owner" or "Tiger eats right leg of veteran keeper."
    Duhh.....no shit that shit eventually happens...
    This is a python, this is a tiger....they did not grow up in a gated community where life was all hunky dory and they had a nanny.
    Such animals, etc., get pissed sometimes and it's hell to pay by the owner whose mind was apparently wandering when he bought the "pet" in the first place.
    So let's not get all surprised that, sometimes, these "pets" react differently than maybe the Dr. Spock vet who told the owners they would be fine with regular attendance at 12-step programs.
    It's like the dude who guns down half of the shoppers at a local mall and, invariably, the next-door neighbor tells Local Channel Reporter "but he was so quiet and never bothered anybody."

12. "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

Draft saved Draft deleted