1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You only cover us when no one comes to our games" South Carolina HS basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Finally, a way to save newspapers:

More at: http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2010/jan/28/seneca-daniel-games-closed-due-safety-concerns/

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know that it's any worse this year, but it seems like there are a ton of fights this year at basketball games. The Florida high school association just came down on a big Chipley-Vernon brawl, which included video shot of a Chipley assistant chest-bumping a player to congratulate him on his involvement in the fight. Also, Oggie, I believe I saw that some big tournament in the Anderson area might get scotched because the cost to insure it is getting so high because of brawls and/or crowd-control problems.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This has happened a few times in new york. They had to close off basketball games between schenectady and Albany because of that stuff.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's high school. Lose the game, win the fight.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does that mean the reporter doesn't have to cover it?

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

No, no, no.
    Sidebar on no crowd (even sweeter if it was scheduled to be senior night).
    Picture of cheerleaders (if they're allowed in) with empty seats in background.
    Blog entries about only the squeak of sneakers, the sound of a bouncing ball and the players' voices ringing off the walls.
    Oh, and shoot some digital for the Web page.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

More with less, motherfuckers!

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I covered a girls HS game where there were 12 people in the stands. I gave a kid I knew a notepad and said "Get everyone's name"

2nd paragraph read Podunk beat Nowhere 55-39 as so and so, so and so, so and so watched. All 12 fans were listed.

My editor busted a gut. "Greatest f---ing thing I've seen in preps." We sold 12 more papers the next day, I'm sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted