1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You might be a hippie if ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Aug 6, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good discussion in our shop the other night: Are there really any hippies anymore? And if so, how can you tell?

My teenage kids like to call my wife and I "hippies," but I think they're wrong. Mrs. Coco and I don't do drugs, live in a commune or take part in orgies. We both wear shoes, eat meat and regularly take showers/shave. Not only that, we're both gainfully employed!

On the other hand ... my wife grows/picks/cans fruits and vegetables. I mow the yard with a reel mower and refuse to put any chemicals on my lawn (the dandelions appreciate this). My wife still makes her own clothes on occasion (she used to do it for the kids, but they would never wear them now). I refuse to own a smart phone and my "cell phone" is a pay-as-you-go flip phone that sits in my glove compartment and is used about five times a year. We see people like Michael Franti, Dave Matthews Band and Phish in concert. And politically, we're both left wingers.

So I ask the citizens of SJ.com: What makes someone a hippie these days?
  2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think you almost have to be 45 plus years old to even be able to define what a hippie truly is.

Your first paragraph screams establishment and no hint of hippie-ness.

Your second paragraph suggests you reside somewhere near Haight-Ashbury, drive a VW Beetle bus and own the entire Grateful Dead collections, including bootlegs.

I would say you don't qualify for hippie status overall, but you're a couple smoked joints and a pair of sandals away from admittance.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you eat meat? I think if you are a pescatarian or worse that you don't qualify for hippie status these days.

You also have to protest something, keep animals that you don't eat and use your 1-play toilet paper to remove bugs from indoors rather than squashing them.

Oh, and sandals.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You're not a hippie. You're just a weirdo. :)
    I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

... your favorite scent is patchouli oil.

My mom went nuts when she found a small bottle of patchouli oil in my bedroom. I think she thought it was some kind of drug. Granted, it was similar in size and appearance to small bottles people may have used as containers for drugs but I don't think my mom knew that. After all, she once bought me a small pendant, having no idea she had given me a coke spoon.

There are still hippies in Asheville.
    Ace likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm 43, so I just missed out on the Grateful Dead bootlegs ... :)

Haven't smoked marijuana in this millennium, but they do have some tasty edibles just across the border in Washington. If I go a few weeks without posting anything here, it's because I ate too many cookies.

Or the squirrels powering my WiFi via treadmill ate a crumb of my Spokane brownies and are too stoned to do their job!
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure one of my friends is in that drum circle. But the last time I saw him, he made a snide comment about our taxi driver wearing patchouli, so I'm confused as to whether he really is a hippie.

Drum circle says yes.
    Dislike for patchouli says no.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I identified as a Black Panther.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I spent some time on the tenure track at Appalachian State in Boone, up the way but on the same wavelength (perhaps even moreso) with Asheville. Before I accepted the gig, I took my wife up there for a visit. When I finally asked if she thought it'd be OK, she said. "Oh, I think I can fit in here. I just need to buy me some Birkenstocks and a few toe rings and to quit shaving my underarms."
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Active Member

My nephew is going to App State this fall. I gave him a hacky sack, sudafed and a broken razor. My sister was not amused. Also, he is not even close to being a would-be hippie.
    expendable likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I knew I was at a different kind of place when the business students -- the straight-laced kids! -- came to class at 8 and 9 in the morning already stoned.
    expendable likes this.
  12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I graduated from App State in 1997. It was overrun with hippies, but I'm sure they'd say it was overrun with conservative white folks, like me. Funny thing is I never met a hippie that came from a worse economic background than me, and though my family wasn't in high cotton, we weren't exactly poor, either.

It always puzzled me how they got all those VW buses up the mountain. My 84 Accord could barely make the run.
Draft saved Draft deleted