1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You mean someone cares this much about college tennis?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Southern Miss staff gives improper benefits and lies to NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/former+southern+mississippi+mens+tennis+coaches+cited+for+unethical+conduct

If you're the Southern Miss AD, your first thoughts have to be: "Are you fucking kidding me? The tennis team?"

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

College tennis = Foreign Exchange Student Program.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tons of cheating goes on in non-revenue sports because the coaches figure the NCAA doesn't really care and won't bother with them.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sports that rely heavily on international athletes are usually dirtier than the average AAU basketball program.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

To this day, the only major write-up the school I cover got in SI was when Selena Roberts went off on them in a column for cancelling the tennis programs.

Even being close to the situation, I was as mystified by the column as anyone undoubtedly was who wasn't. Almost no one here cared one iota.

College tennis is a mess. Some schools hire ex-pros who feed the programs with recruits gained almost exclusively through contacts by friends overseas. One of the reasons the program I cover got wiped out was because they made zero effort to recruit anyone local -- or even North American -- whatsoever.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This barely scratches the surface of just how dirty this USM coach was. And this comes after the former women's tennis coach was forced out amid charges of sexual misconduct.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Boise State's tennis program was found to be the dirtiest of them all when the NCAA levied all those penalties against the athletics department. The head coach has a show-cause ban.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See what happens when 'Bama football players get caught with PEDs?

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yep, my first thought was that the NCAA must have been so pissed at itself for screwing up the Miami investigation that it shithammered Southern Miss tennis.

Draft saved Draft deleted