1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You mean I can't write off my illicit fling?" SDSU AD resigns.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/19/sdsu-athletic-director-resigns/

Big news from my alma mater: San Diego State AD Jeff Schemmel flew cross country saying he was meeting with a consultant about finding a new football coach, when he was actually meeting with a married woman for a tryst. Genius then tried to put some of those costs on his expense report. Goodbye, Jeff!

As noted in the story, Schemmel was one of the officials involved in the University of Minnesota academic scandals. Oh yes, and when the school was looking for a new AD, the head of the consulting firm tasked with finding someone was a good buddy of Schemmel's, who shockingly got the job.

I love it when this stuff is so above-board.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Schemmel has a future as a Congressman

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A former DI one men's hoops coach I know used to change girlfriends fairly regularly. You could tell where the latest one was stashed by looking at his schedule every year. At least a tournament and often some random game in the area. One year, he flew the team in on Tuesday for a tournament that started Friday. Didn't want 'em jet lagged flying across two time zones.

Another coach I know bitched when his school changed leagues. "It took me a while to build up that network. I'm too old to start again."

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Calling the episode "tragic," SDSU President Stephen Weber said Schemmel will receive $116,000 as part of a settlement agreement.

The state of California has truckloads of money to spare.. glad we can dole some out to this guy.

God bless America.

5. poindexter

Besides the taxpayers eating it in the shorts, why exactly is this 'tragic'?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What a schemmel!

7. Moderator1

Agreed. Guy is getting some. Nobody died.
    Even out of a job, he'll have more money than many make in three years.
    I'm still looking for the tragedy.

Poin, this ain't exactly your major but it is in the neighborhood. I'm going to be redonkulously pissed if we don't have pictures soon.

8. poindexter

Here is the best I can do, thru facebook

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=quick&q=Carolyn%20Lineberger

The first is a "How about No"
    The second is kinda cute, tho young.
    the third and fourth don't have pics attached.

9. Moderator1

Damn you're good

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As married male of many years I can certainly understand the desire to get a little variety and don't judge people when they have affairs because I'm just not in a position to say what was or is going on in their lives and I understand certain people, for whatever reason can't afford a divorce or whatever....

That being said, I am always amazed at how dumb some of these folks are in terms of how they get caught.

I mean -- this fucking idiot didn't think that if he was going to fly across the country for some side snatch that the paper trail he is leaving might just come back to haunt him? He didn't for one minute think "you know, I make 257,000 a year doing my job, I don't ever want to lose it or put it in jeopardy so the last thing I am going to do is charge THREE HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS FOR A RENTAL CAR AND 25 bucks for gas to my employer....."

What the fuck. I mean - when they add his total expenses up it is going to be, judging from the articles, what $2000 or so? And for that amount you risk your career?

What a dumbfuck.

11. poindexter

But the funny thing is (if I am reading this correctly) is that it wasn't some sharp beancounter in the athletic department office who caught it.

It was husband of the chick he was banging.... who requested if under the FIA. Sweet. That guy is my new hero.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly - the husband filed a lawsuit as part of his divorce trying to subpeana the SDSU travel logs to determine who paid for the hotel rooms and other travel involved in the affair. He said it was relevant to the divorce agreement.

My point was this -- what kind of a dumbfuck would allow a paper trail on something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted