1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You may run like Mays, but you hit like ... Aikens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 26, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://tinyurl.com/37vk8o

Very interesting article from the WaPo on federal crack cocaine cases. Your poster child? This man:

[​IMG]

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be a rip on a baseball player, suggesting he hit like this guy...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's a guy who enjoys gripping some lumber.

NTTAWWT .....

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have to admit I have mixed feelings on this issue. On the one hand, 15 years for dealing a small amount of drugs is ridiculously excessive. On the other hand, there is the personal responsibility factor. Aikens is an adult, and he knew that drugs were illegal, yet he kept dealing them.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When you look at the case and what it involves, your feelings will no longer be mixed. SCOTUS did a solid on this issue, despite good old Scalito and Uncle Thomas.

Good take. One out of three ain't bad.

So jaywalking is illegal too, Baron. Do we put habitual jaywalkers under Gitmo? Apparently only the dark-skinned ones.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So jaywalking is illegal too, Baron. Do we put habitual jaywalkers under Gitmo? Apparently only the dark-skinned ones.
    [/quote]

If people knew that they would get thrown into Gitmo for jaywalking, odds are it would cut down on the jaywalkers. And if jaywalkers were tossed into jail, don't you think there would be just a little bit of an outcry from an outraged public?

Like I said, the sentence was excessive. But the bottom line is (and I'm not talking about cases where corrupt police plant the drugs), if you don't get involved with drugs, you don't get in trouble.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

FB, I totally see Baron's point on this. Is the law (and punishment) excessive? No doubt, and it absolutely NEEDS to be changed. But it's not like Aiken was an innocent babe in the woods here. Had the sentence only been two years instead of 15, it's still time Aiken "earned" through his crime. And it's likely we'd even be having this conversation.

Let's not forget: an unjust law (or punishment) doesn't negate clearly illegal activity.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Did you just type that? Can I assume that it's a reflexive tic, and that you aren't this big of a jerk?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Scalito, I can't explain. The Uncle Thomas was a tic, I'm sure. He clearly meant reactionary, hypocritical Thomas. Hope this clears the issue up.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scott Farkus is gay?

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's why he was so interested in getting young boys to scream Uncle.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't know about Scott Farkus, but Scut Farkus may be.

Draft saved Draft deleted