1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You may have meant to search for bleeds--i.e. Drew Bledsoe retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 12, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I always felt bad for him. It's too bad he has to go out like this.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He isn't a Hall of Famer.

3. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

He isn't a Hall of Famer, but he might be one of the 5 best quarterbacks of the 1990s. A really odd career--but when you consider his impact on the overall direction of the Patriots (they were about to move before Bledsoe and Parcells showed up), his impact on the franchise cannot be overstated.

Hard to believe they were having debates 10 years ago about the best Patriots QB of all time--Bledsoe or Grogan?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I liked Bledsoe too, but I could never get past the fact that he looked a little bit too much like Anthony Michael Hall's character from Johnny Be Good. Made him seem more ineffectual at times than he really was.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

If Curtis Martin and Keith Byars can hold on to the ball and the Jets can avoid blowing a 10-point lead, we'd be saying Vinny Testaverde shockingly rebuilt his reputation by winning Super Bowl XXXIII. He had a remarkable 1998 season and the Jets would have throttled the Falcons in the big one. And Joe Namath would be Just Another Guy.

And for all the picks he threw in Tampa, Testaverde now has more TDs (270) than INTs (261). Not a HOFer by any stretch, not even by the Pro Football HOF's ridiculously easy standards, but he was a very good quarterback for a long time (and he's still not retired). And, as Alma points out, Testaverde was one of the best and most respected locker room guys you'll ever see. Of course it didn't take much to surpass HOF prick Neil O'Donnell in the teammate department.

6. Well, Plunkett's in the Hall.
    Just sayin'.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't worry. He'll still find something to be wrong about.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What Hall is that? The Hall of Mediocre Top Draft Picks? :D

9. Not in the HOF, but "mediocre" is pretty harsh for a guy who threw for 44,000 yards.

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Plunkett is not in the Hall of Fame. Just for informational purposes, here are the career stats for Plunkett, Vinny T and Bledsoe. I think it's fair to say that if he played as many games as Vinny, Bledsoe would move well past him in the passing stats, as Vinny has about two seasons worth of extra games for his career. Still, it is a reasonable comparison.

Plunkett
    157 games
    52.5 completion percentage (1,943-3,701)
    25,882 yards
    164 TDs, 198 INTs
    2 Super Bowl wins, 8-2 playoff record

Vinny T
    227 games
    56.6 completion percentage (3,693-6,529)
    45,281 yards
    270 TDs, 261 INTs
    4-3 playoff record, no Super Bowl appearances

Bledsoe
    194 games
    57 completion percentage (3,839-6,717)
    44,611 yards
    251 TDs, 206 INTs
    4-3 playoff record, 1 Super Bowl loss, 2 AFC title wins

11. My bad.
    Thanks, rook.
    I'll get my own Leinie's.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

One of my best friends went to HS with Bledsoe. Said he's always been a very cool person. Their families ended up being good friends, and Drew invited them to Boston a few times and gave my buddy and his brother sideline passes for a couple Patriots games.

If he doesn't come back in that AFC championship game when Brady twisted his ankle and throw that TD pass, maybe the Pats dynasty never begins.

I always remember Brady grabbing him around the neck and going nuts when the Pats beat the Rams, and Bledsoe was trying to be happy for the team, but you could tell he was wishing he'd been out there. A natural reaction, I think. I'm sure he knew his career with the Pats was over.

May he enjoy many long afternoons riding jetskis on Flathead Lake.

Draft saved Draft deleted