1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know that you're old school if you can....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 3, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Damn! I remember that show. I was probably about 6 or 7 at the time. I could look it up first and then act like I knew it but I'll play honestly instead. I remember it being about some cave family in modern times (the Geiko cave men aren't the first to get a show) and was it Sid Caesar that played the lead? About the only thing I remember from that show was someone trying to explain to them that the world wasn't flat. He picks up an orange and says, "World like orange." And the lead character flattens the orange and says, "now world like orange."

EDIT: OK, I looked it up and it wasn't Sid Caesar but Imogene Coco was the cave man wife. And it wasn't Cave men in modern times but Astronauts who broke the speed of time and ended back in prehistoric times. I hardly remember watching the show but thinking about it in my mind I'm immediately transformed in time back to the living room of the house we lived in then. I also remember getting to stay up till 9 o'clock in the summer so my brother and I could watch "Family Affair" and "Julia."

EDIT again: Upon further reading, I've learned the astronauts and the cave family went back to 1967, so I did remember some of it correctly. What fun this thread is!

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

... start writing and reading about athletes your age now retiring from their sports.

3. old_tony

... remember NFL games being blacked out in the local market even when they were sold out well in advance.

...remember the Notre Dame football games being replayed on Sunday mornings with Lindsey Nelson calling them because there was only one college football game on on Saturdays.

...remember the Friday night lineup on ABC as Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Nanny and the Professor, The Odd Couple and Love American Style. I lived for Friday nights back then because of those shows, and then off to bed excited as all hell because Saturday morning was youth bowling league, the highlight of the week. I think I was 10 back then when those shows were on and then my dad got us into bowling league.

4. The Commish

The Commish Guest

You remember when tornado warnings meant, "Get to the basement, now. A twister is on the ground." Not: "Radar indicates conditions are right for a tornado."

5. old_tony

...You remember you and your friends hanging out in the basement rec room in summer because it was cooler down there and you didn't have air conditioning.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When the term old school meant this ...

[​IMG]

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

...remember when you had to wait for the start or end of the innings (or commercial breaks) to find out what the score was on TV.

...when you had to hook up a camcorder to a VCR to get it to record.

...when you had to wait a good 5 minutes for your Commodore 64 to load World Games.

...when the dry look was in.

...when you could actually change the oil in your car. By the same token, you needed one of those spigots to plunge into the can. No plastic containers here.

...when cashiers at the supermarket had to type in the price. No scanning of bar codes just yet.

8. ...remember waiting for the Sears Wish Book to arrive in the mail.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Place the the correct teams in the East and West divisions of MLB before the wild card era.

waited up to watch the NBA finals on tape delay

remember being pissed off when Cosell didn't mention your team in the MNF halftime highlights.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... You can remember Lindsey Nelson (and plaid sportcoat), Ray Scott and Van PAtrick calling games.

... Chester MArcol, Chester Marcol, Chester Marcol.. touchdown.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

... remember Whacky Packages, with all ther parodies of everyday products

... remember when big fights were on closed circuit and the three networks littered their weekend afternoon programming wioth the kind of fights they now charge larcenous PPV prices for

... remember when Ali and studs like Leonard, Duran and Holmes defended their titles on the networks

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

One of the stores in my neighborhood sold the dime packs for a nickel. It was a longer trip to that store, but worth it. Went crazy trying to get Vida Blue's card to close out the 1974 A's. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted