1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You knew this was coming: Dmitri Young, "inspiration," "role model" and "mentor"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. A sentence I never thought I'd type --
    I agree with old tony 100 percent.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Re: You knew this was coming: Dmitri Young, "inspiration," "role model" and "men

So I guess you are not going to believe Josh Hamilton either. I guess you have the right to persecute people because you are beyond perfect.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

just remember, first person to use the term "haters" automatically loses.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

at least we now know the times has writers besides karen crouse to do these "redemption" pieces. ;D

my only gripe here: i'd prefer to let a bit more time to pass before writing such a piece, although joe lapointe did a nice job of not anointing young as a new man. ::) ::) ::)

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I have mixed feelings on this one.
    Yes, I understand people make mistakes and turn their lives around, I just get tired of the "don't do what I did" routine. My attention span is much more gooder for those who tell me not to do drugs, etc while they've not gone down that path themselves.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Isn't common ground cool?

I know I have over 1,000 posts but I never had to fetch anyone a beer back when I was a newbie. What'll ya' have, Fenian?

EDIT: Whoa, post No. 1,300! (Just went back and checked how close I was on saying "over 1,000."

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Redemption? Man beats a woman, deserves no slack, should live with being a symbol of all that's bad in society for the rest of his life.

I can think of only one person in sports who truly changed and turned his life around: John Lucas.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I can see both sides of this argument...

the redeemed bad boy story does get overplayed a lot. (but, I'll say that the Josh Hamilton story really moved me this spring)... these redemption stories often get bigger play than stories about guys who keep their nose clean for their entire life.

on the flip side, readers are human, with human problems. To see these people with superhuman athletic ability, guys who live in a world of wealth and fame joe schmo doesn't get to experience, struggle with human problems and then over come them lets joe schmo relate.

Joe Schmo has problems. Dmitri young has problems. People are drawn to the redeemed hero story line because they can relate to it.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Dmitri didn't write the story or even pitch the idea. Your beef is with the newspaper. FYI, Dmitri has always been one of the most popular guys in his clubhouse, wherever he's been. Yeah, he got himself into some trouble the past couple years. I still consider him a good guy.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe. But the writers who cover teams with "troubled athletes" generally know if the guy is a dick or not and have no such allegiances to "the code." And that being the case, they don't write redemption pieces about guys who are dicks. They do, however, write such pieces about guys who aren't dicks. So I'll trust the writer of the story over someone lobbing bombs from afar.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This sounds like a job for Sportsbra

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm going to have to go with old_tony on this argument. It seems like everyone is taking a rather unforgiving line on this. I'm not going to call Young an inspiration or role model, but why would any of us be so cynical as to not be willing to give him a chance?

Real life moment here: My ex is now going through rehab to try and turn around her life. I can take the same cynical and negative stance as some of you guys, but this is the mother of my son, and no one is going to benefit from giving up on her because she made mistakes. At least she's making what appears to be a genuine effort to recover.

Draft saved Draft deleted