1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You just wish your high school had this

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For $120 million, how many deserving needy kids could be brought into this district for classes ever day? Just asking.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

FWIW, the Galveston school district, which is still recovering from Hurricane Ike (the great forgotten hurricane), has a bond election in a month on whether to build a $35 million multi-purpose stadium.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

So the stadium's price tag by itself is less than $120 million. It includes a new auditorium and service center, but still...

I'm guessing that measure doesn't pass without the big ol' staidum as part of the deal.

Can someone smarter than me explain how a "bond proposal" works? That's not a tax, right? Or is it?

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a tax. That's why it's going on the ballot.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Good ol' taxes.

Hey, maybe this is a new way for Texas towns to get funding they need.

"We're going to propose a new tax that will fund a new fancy, state-of-the-art stadium for our high school (cough, cough) and a new community health center, and more funding for public service projects and to help the poor (cough, cough)."

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The stadium will cost roughly $60 million according to a PDF file found through Google. The auditorium 23 million. The "transportation maintenance & student nutrition center" will cost $36.5 million. The bond was approved by 63% of voters.

If the people paying the taxes are the ones that vote to approve the taxes, I don't see a problem...

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The musta done a helluva job selling this onee to the voters. That or the voters are hellyva stupid and looking to win the annual Texas Dick Measuring Competition with this stadium. The district I currently live in just spent $7 million on a new stadium after the fire marshal shut down the old one and people are STILL complaining and calling it a Taj Mahal.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The two practice fields in the upper right look pretty sweet too. According to a couple rating web sites, the school ranks in the 80th percentile of Texas schools so it's not like they're slacking on the academics.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Students in the end zone? I mean, this is where they go to school, right?

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Those are noble ideas, to be sure. I don't think you can pay for them with bond issues, though.

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Don't show this link/story to anyone associated with education in New Jersey, otherwise they might redefine the meaning of the phrase "going postal."

In a country where jobs are leaving left and right and has an industrial base that's withered into a pathetic sham of its former self, shit like this makes me vomit. A facility like this is completely, absolutely un-necessary when built with taxpayer money. If some deep-pocketed alum footed the bill, fine, that's his own money. This country is placing too much emphasis on sports at every level; pros, college, preps and youth. I'm sure that this money could have been better spent on increasing teacher salaries, teacher staffing, resources, improving vo-tech schools, etc.

Maybe I'm this pissed off because I live in NJ and a couple of my friends are now sweating about their job security because the damned NJEA won't accept a ONE YEAR FREEZE IN RAISES AND WON'T CHIP IN TO HEALTH INSURANCE, but this is beyond ridiculous. I hope that after the first game, when everyone has left that stadium, it crumbles to the ground.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Word.

Draft saved Draft deleted