1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You just wish your high school had this

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, Apr 13, 2010.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

New football stadium at Allen High School in the Dallas area will seat 18,000. It's part of a $119 million dollar project.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/if-drawings-are-any-indication.html

As someone who has covered plenty of games in places like Ratliff Stadium, all I can say is I want me one o' those. Other than its capacity, this will outshine most DI colleges.

2. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Is it being built entirely out of recently pulped textbooks? Or just normal stuff?

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Shoot. I thought this was going to be about another of Poin's hot teacher threads. :p

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That it doesn't have a retractable roof is a minor upset. (Don't worry, we'll see it somewhere in the next 10-15 years.)

Seriously, Allen is the biggest high school in the state and has an enrollment of 5,042. (Two Plano schools are listed as larger, but that is misleading because those are grades 11-12 only and the UIL applies a formula.) Allen's band has 600 members, for Pete's sake.

Fortunately (depending on your point of view), almost all of the new high schools opening up in the Metroplex are 4A size (1K-2K enrollment) and this actually caused the bottom limit of 5A to drop for the first time in 25 years. But don't look for another school in Allen anytime soon. They like being the big dog.

5. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

The Division II school near me wishes it had a stadium of the size and grandeur of this new high school stadium.

Goddamn.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No it doesn't. No one goes to their games.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gotta love the priorities of Texas schools.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Hell, I'd say this is nicer than a lot of I-AA/FCS stadiums.

--

When my high school made a run to the state title in 2000, I remember going to some amazing high school stadiums in the DFW area. Throughout my years in HS, we played a lot of early round playoff games in Mesquite's main stadium, which seemed huge for a HS facility. I'd guess it held about 20,000, but wasn't too fancy.

Later in the playoff run, I remember my HS playing in the stadium of a school district in a Fort Worth suburb. The stadium had a jumbotron and televisions showing a live feed of the game while you waited for concessions.

Funny enough, the state title game was played in the Astrodome, which was a unique experience, but much crappier than most of the HS stadiums my school played in. :)

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Comments like this are kind of silly.

School districts with money have nice facilities in all areas of their school district. For some reason, I have a feeling that this school district has classroom technology, music programs, and academic performance that is superior to most other places in Texas. Taking a quick glance at their website, 15 of the schools in the district have the highest academic rating by the state. The other four have the second highest rating.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great. Terrific. Good for them.

How about maybe paying the teachers more? Or hiring more staff? Or even, saving the money for a rainy day?

There are schools all around the country who are laying off teachers left and right (mine is one of them), cutting back all sorts of programs (and in mine, sports is a possibility), because there's no money left. People are paying a lot in property taxes, and the school is dealing with a bunch of (legit) capital improvements that have nothing to do with recreation.

Years ago in SI, another Texas district built a multi-million dollar stadium. When asked about the money issue, the superintendent essentially said (paraphrasing here) that no one sits and cheers in a science lab.

Nevermind that a vast majority of the people who are sitting in the stadium will need some sort of science to deal with health issues in their lifetime.

Unless their old stadium is dangerous to fans to be in, keep it. There are other uses for the money.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

both mesquite stadiums now have jumbotron scoreboards and the other, hanby, now has one of the nicest press boxes i've ever seen. i remember a decade or so back when close to 25k people packed memorial for a nondistrict game between north mesquite and odessa permian when they were ranked 1-2 in the state.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Now THIS is a silly comment. School district's with money? How'd they get that money? Investing in the stock market? Winning Mega Millions? Selling blow? Ohh, I know, property taxes and personal income taxes. School district dont have money. They have their taxpayers money.

Draft saved Draft deleted