1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You guys RULE! The Seattle P-I thanks you.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by P-I sports desk, Mar 17, 2009.

1. P-I sports desk

P-I sports desk New Member

I just wanted to thank all of you for the kind words sent our way at the Seattle P-I sports desk. Many of you called the bar we were at last night in Seattle and donated money with your credit cards. We were all very touched by this move. It is my understanding that the credit line at one point reached over $500. You are an amazing bunch.
    Side note on our last sports section - you'll be happy to know that our agate man (the amazing Jim Peterson) worked every P-I sports employee into our final edition. Many of you read David Andriesen's letter yesterday. The agate for Dave read.... "Placed David Andriesen (MLB reporter) on irrevocable waivers for the purpose of granting him his unconditional release."
    Also, Kenny Mayne (Kent, WA native) from ESPN called the desk last night to wish us all well. He mentioned that he had meant to get an ad in the sports section to tell everyone thanks, but hadn't because of a death in his family. Kenny said it was his uncle who had been like a father to him. We worked his uncle into the agate as well..... "Returned Uncle Gordon Creighton to the Angels."
    I will miss working in sports so much.
    Just wanted to say thanks to all of you. (and thank you for the call Kenny)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good Lord... you guys ran through THAT much of a bar tab?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And much more, I would suspect.
    Best wishes to all of you. You did great, great work for a long, long time.

4. In the first 20 minutes, I'd guess.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good folks at the P-I. They weather many storms and deserved a better fate. Best wishes and God's blessing to all.
    Hope there are a few pennies left on that tab for another round.

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I'd love to read that whole agate page ... best wishes to all and job well done...

7. The final storm front has certainly arrived when you start to see threads like this. Will there be any newspapers left by the end of this decade? I used to think yes, but now I'm not so sure. The burial rate is only going to accelerate from here on...

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I always like hearing about working employees into agate. We had an old-timer who was an agate typer for the longest time. The day he passed, I got a line under Sportlight about Jim. Of course, as part of the old guard, he'd probably hate that I did it, but that was pretty much how our relationship was.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Had I known, I would have called in so you guys could have bought some more pitchers. Great idea.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was Angola!'s idea. Man's brilliant at times.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just went back and read the thread. Pretty cool, folks.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent final day for the P-I.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003952257

Draft saved Draft deleted