1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You got a prescription for that Sudafed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In Mississippi, you'll need a scrip beginning in July, for Sudafed and any other formerly over-the-counter drug containing pseudoephedrine, a major ingredient in making crystal meth.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100211/NEWS/100211018/1001/NEWS/Barbour-signs-cold-medicine-bill

Meth is bad stuff, particularly in rural areas. But frankly, I'm amazed this got past the pharmaceutical lobby ...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I believe it. Here (and I suspect many other places) you have to show ID to get it, and there are limits to how much you can buy at one time, or in one week.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I wasn't aware that everyone in Mississippi had health insurance. Thanks, Judge Skinner.

(Doesn't do much for the 'don't go to the doctor for the sniffles' crowd, either.)

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's how it is here.

I was totally confused the first time I looked for it after they changed the policy.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Knowing what I know about meth, and what goes into it, and what it does to the body, all I can say is that it must be the greatest fucking high in the history of the world.

6. partain

partain Member

The only over the counter cold-sinus-allergy medicines that work for my wife are the ones that contain pseudoephedrine. I once joked with her that it might be easier to just buy crystal meth these days than it is to get the stuff that works for her. Thank goodness we don't live in Mississippi.

Being from Arkansas originally, I can't help but think of the old SNL skit with Bill Clinton at a press conference:
    "And I'm proud to say that during my time as governor, we jumped ahead of Mississippi in education funding."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the hell of it is, the average meth dealer isn't getting his psuedophedrine at the Podunk Wal-Mart. If they're reasonably close to the border, they're doing the cooking in Mexico anyway. I'd rank this one up there with going to daylight time in March on the list of feel-good legislation that doesn't do much.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's a good time to say "Breaking Bad" is one awesome TV show. :)

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My state has that law as well. Law enforcement says it has helped.

10. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Don't know how accurate this is, but:

http://www.westlinntidings.com/news/story.php?story_id=119629495808337700

... Two years ago, amid much self-congratulatory hoopla, Oregon adopted the most stringent anti-meth laws in the nation – eliminating key ingredients for local meth cooks and kick-starting a national, even global war on what many consider the most addictive and disturbing illegal narcotic.

Today, it’s undeniable that Oregon’s laws were hugely successful in one area: The meth labs that endangered children and created hidden toxic waste dumps in basements and backyards across the state have been all but eliminated.

As the officers indicate, however, that success has borne unintended consequences – thanks to a massive influx of meth supplied by Mexican drug cartels.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I thought that this thread was going to be about Sean Sutton.

From: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/sean-sutton-arrested-on-drug-charges.html

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No shit.

The stuff that people put in it, and the aftermath....it must make you feel amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted