1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't need that: Average American spends almost $18,000 a year on nonessentials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, May 8, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Which is where the word average comes in. Again, I want to see their crosstabs.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't want to live in a world where deodorant is nonessential.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Essentials? My parents never had to pay for:

Cellular service
    Cable TV (no we made do without HBO)
    Internet service

That's what $250-300 a month right there?

They never went out to dinner or drinks or coffee either.

Yeah, they had it tougher.

Liut likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other 10 percent I'll probably waste."

-- Tug McGraw, when asked after signing a new contract what he would do with the money

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For news anchors, that’s cheap.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Same is true if you live in a city with mass transit that doesn't always run 24 hours a day. Such a stupid list.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

General point is true. But when calculating relative costs, you've got to figure in standard, land-line telephone/long distance charges as something that existed back in the day and doesn't anymore.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

My wife spends $145, including tip, once a month or so. She spends a shit ton more on products. She hits the $94 average for two people every month, so when I get my every-six-weeks buzz, we're well over. Good luck convincing her it's non-essential, though.

Tweener and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody else getting sick and tired of financial companies like Chase and this life insurance company that commissioned the study making people feel guilty about some of the simple pleasures in life? Wages have been STAGNANT for years and they're blaming the people getting stiffed for not spending their money wisely, while at the same time charging people to access their own money, and charging 23 percent interest on their credit cards.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, this stuff gets old.

But I’ve met quite a few folks under 30 in our church. They do eat out a lot. And I’d say 75 percent or so have been to Europe. 30-40 percent more than once. Almost all have healthy college debt; some are getting advanced degrees. Now, since I attend a fairly affluent church, it’d be fair to say their parents partially paid for those trips.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What bugs me most about this USA Today story is that, in a time in which economic disparity and wage suppression are matters of widespread alarm, a newsroom is jumping in to suggest that we shut up and cut back even more. On everything.

Cut everything to the bone. Thanks (again), Gannett.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

avocado toast is killing us

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted