1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't need that: Average American spends almost $18,000 a year on nonessentials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, May 8, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for somebody to say scrubbing their clothes on a washboard is soothing.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife bought one at an antique store a couple of years ago. She says some stains can only be removed by using the washboard. I'll take her word for it.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's even better if you go vegan, too. ... And those corn cobs are a gift from God in the bathroom, amirite?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You’ll need it to get the bird shit out of your clothes if you also use a clothesline.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The one thing I miss at the laundromat is that it usually was a couple of hours where I could semi-relax and read a book while the laundry was running.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She hasn't gotten around to using the washer-dryer for storage. Yet.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the summer we go to our cabin for 7-10 days. No laundry facilities. So driving into town and doing laundry one day - reading the Denver/Casper/Laramie papers, walking to the convenience store to get a soda, reading trashy magazines we don't get at home, etc. - is actually pretty fun. Plus it doesn't take more than 90 minutes because you can wash and dry 2-3 loads at a time.

Don't want to do it every week but once in a while it's OK.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I know you can learn to live without most things, but I like life much better with a washer and dryer in my house. Was recently away and renting a place that shared machines between three units, and when people would leave their shit in there for hours it would drive me insane. I'm back at home and washing my children's sheets right now and I'm savouring the whole experience of just being able to wash shit when I want to wash it. Delightful.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always observed the 15-minute rule. When a washer or dryer cycle ends, you have 15 minutes to get back there and fetch it before it gets taken out and put on a table. If I'm late getting back to the laundry room and someone does it to me, that's OK too.

Fred siegle, HanSenSE and wicked like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I once forgot my load of laundry for a couple of hours. Came back and found everything on a table perfectly folded.

The thought occurred to me that somewhere, there was (probably) a girl who had folded my underwear. I always wondered what she was thinking.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In France, every apartment or house has a washing machine, and about 1 in 10 have a dryer. They have indoor clothesline tacks for drying. It's insane. Also, they do not have window screens. I don't get it.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

House we built has second floor laundry. Fucking game changer.

Draft saved Draft deleted