1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You decide: Kentucky Mr. Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'd vote for either Farris or Matthews.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Out of curiosity, who is eligible to vote in this thing? Is the balloting weighed so that guys from small communities far from Louisville and Lexington have a reasonable chance of being recognized?

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Boyd is the best player in the state, and it's really not that close.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to knock the quality of Kentucky football ... but isn't Mr. Football in Kentucky kind of like Mr. Field Hockey in Texas?

I always thought of football in that state as a warmup for thump-thump. I suppose with the rise of Louisville and UK as football programs, the profile has risen.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't vote. My boss does.

And yes, I realize numbers aren't everything. But that's what the voters will look at.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The beginning of the UK-UofL series in the early '90s really changed the football landscape there. Howard Schnellenberger and Bill Curry, then coaches at UofL and UK, pushed for the advent of spring football in the high schools and once spring leagues and practices were established, the quality of football rose. Kentucky kids have really grown into football, and, believe it or not, the successes of UK and UofL have come largely from a solid mixture of in-state talent and talent from the South. Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Keenan Burton, Michael Bush, Chris Redman, Tim Couch and a lot of others have built solid foundations at the two programs, and some schools, most notably Michigan and Tennessee, have really started recruiting the state hard. One of the state's top players, an offensive lineman, just committed to Florida not too long ago. A defensive back was committed to Arkansas before switching to UK. Marcus Green, a Louisville native, played defensive line for Ohio State last season.

Louisville has developed into a solid talent base, and Lexington is growing as well. Many of the smaller schools produce some solid D-1 talent every few years (Woodson is from Radcliff, and UK and UofL have kids from the likes of Frankfort, Paducah, Owensboro and many of the small counties in Kentucky).

It certainly hasn't gained the prowess of Ohio or Pennsylvania, but Kentucky is at least gaining some ground. I don't know for sure, but it's been several years since it lost the KY-TN All-Star game. The two prominent Catholic schools in Louisville have each spent significant time in the national Top 25 the last six or seven years, and one public school has been in it. Both Catholic schools have played -- and beaten -- some of the big-time Cincinnati schools.

Believe it or not, high school football in the Bluegrass has pretty much passed up basketball as the popular sport, at least in Louisville, Northern Kentucky and, to a lesser degree, in Lexington.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Corey Robinson, Lone Oak, QB: 362-483, 5,631 yards, 90 TD, 4 INT.

Draft saved Draft deleted