1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You decide: Kentucky Mr. Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 26, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah, it should be about who is the best player. According to my sources, the Lone Oak kid ain't that guy.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

409 carries? Jumpin Jeebus... if the kid survived the season, he needs to get it for that reason alone...

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

LexCath 44-38. One helluva game, too.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Kid AVERAGED 6 td passes a game?

Book it.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I don't even think he was the best QB in the state. I'd take the kid from Shelby County.

But yes, 6 TDs per game is impressive. If they had played a real schedule he still may have thrown for 45 or 50, but not 90.

The funny thing is, the AP in their total head up assness didn't even get the nomination forms out until three weeks after the state finals. And the all-state and Mr/ Football is being announced more than a month after the state finals ended. All-state basketball will be announced sometime in June!

6. KYSportsWriter

I'd have taken the kid from Shelby County, too, but the stats are what will lead people to vote for the kid from Lone Oak.

I saw the kid from Shelby County play once, but never got to see the Lone Oak kid.

As far as the AP getting the ballot out late, that's total bullshit. The ballot should have been out the week after state finals at the latest.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Is it for regular season play? If so, the ballott should have been out a week before the state finals at the latest. Tell people to nominate their guys that week, get the ballott out the next. Hell it's all by email anyway.

If not, then a week after the finals. Not too many things are going to change because of the postseason.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

The AP in Louisville started half-assing the prep awards in 2005. They used to be a lot better, but there was a key staff change in the bureau that caused a lot of problems from the members' point of view (and not just in sports).

9. KYSportsWriter

The award is for the entire season, I believe.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If you think that decision should be made simply by looking at stats, then you're not qualified to be a voter. What class did each play in, against what level of competition, and how did their teams do? Numbers alone aren't nearly enough.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had to look his up.

National high school single season attempts

487 Mike Sutkamp (Bellevue, KY), 1981

475 Ketric Sanford
    (Corsicana, TX), 1994
    456 Shaun Alexander
    (Florence Boone County, KY), 1994
    451 Parker Wallace
    (Salina Central, KS), 1996
    441 Jeff Godley
    (Arlington Sam Houston, TX), 1990
    441 Jeff Womack
    (McMinnville Warren County, TN), 1980
    441 Billy Sims (Hooks, TX), 1973

Pretty impressive, Kentucky.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

That's a good point, especially for the QB from Lone Oak who posted the flashy numbers.

Draft saved Draft deleted