1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Spell Cardinals Without NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: You can't spell Pitino without NIT

I didn't know that. Thanks wicked.

I like how the NIT acts as if something other than filling seats goes into the selection process.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If my beloved Gamecocks win the NIT again, I think they should rename it the SCIT, and play the championship game in Columbia. ... We're a football school, we don't care about basketball. (/loserfanboy)

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Agreed, he isn't doing a very good job now. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that. Well, maybe not. But he isn't doing a good job right now. There just isn't that one thing there that he's had in the past.

I'm sure some of you will say talent. Can't argue too much with the way the team is playing.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The only thing more pathetic than a banner for an NIT title is a banner for PARTICIPATING in the NIT, which graces William and Mary's arena.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't think talent is the problem. Terrance Williams is talented. I think Palacios (when 100 percent) is talented. I like Smith and Sosa at the guards. And while Pitino should have jettisoned Caracter when he had the chance, I believe he's talented as well.

If you want to see something that really refelcts how bad it is for Louisville, check out yesterday's Bracketology pairings on ESPN.com. Joe Lunardi projects seven Big East schools to get in, but none is seeded higher than a three. The rest are seeded between six and 10 (The Irish are a nine seed). That means there aren't any worldbeaters in the Big East this year, but still Louisville can't beat them. Lunardi also has Syracuse and DePaul in the on deck circle, meaning at best Louisville is the No. 10 team in the conference. I'm not even sure they're that good right now.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK, it's been nearly a month since I posted this rant. Since then, Louisville has won 6 of 7 and played some serious, serious defense. Three of those wins also have come on the road (South Florida, DePaul and Cincinnati).

I'm not ready to take back my original post just yet, but this team has turned it around. Maybe it's David Padgett finally being healthy. Maybe it Juan Palacios finally being healthy. Maybe it's Caracter, who has now found himself in the Ellis Myles character boot camp. Whatever it is, the season may not necessarily be lost.

I hesitate on going further because the Cardinals are getting ready to enter their toughest stretch of the schedule. Five games in the next two weeks -- Villanova, Pitt and Marquette on the road; Georgetown and South Florida at home. You figure the USF game is a win, but they could easily lose the other four.

In order to get an NCAA berth, I believe Louisville needs at least a 10-6 conference record. That's entirely doable, but that's also banking on Padgett and Palacios maintaining their health. Right now, that's as iffy a proposition as a Terrance Williams jump shot.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tommy Amaker is taking Pitino's permanent spot in the NIT Security Council.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well what else is going to be in William and Mary's arena? Certainly not any NCAA banners. Or fans.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Pitino STILL sucks.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"Rick Pitino from 1987 isn't going to be walking through that door. If he does, he'll be old and gray."

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Simply had a bad nite, I'd guess.
    Listen, with so many automatic bids each year, it's impossible to get the 64 best teams into the tourney.
    If Louisville's in a down cycle, they'll be back soon.
    Every coach can't get his or her team to the tourney every year.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe, but with down years in the Big 10, 12 and SEC, along with seven bids in Big East, a lot more deserving mid-majors who would be ignored in past years will be able to get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted