1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can't make this stuff up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a time when Vince Carter was criticized for attending UNC graduation the morning of a game? And now we are all rooting for Vick to make it from bankruptcy court.

I'm convinced that most sportswriters should just STFU.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

snacks wont be needed until after 4:20.

i'm a 45 yo geezer with no kids but i knew the 420 bit

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

spnited on pot: 'When I was your age, we still used pica poles! Heh heh heh ... pole.'

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Before Game 7 of a playoff game against the 76'ers. Raptors lost.

VC may be the most despised athlete in Toronto history. As a matter of fact, I can't think of the person who comes in second.

That's a lot of hockey, football, basketball and baseball history

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

spnited: stand on toilet, get high on pot.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, Carter was wrongly criticized by media. In 2001, he attended a Raptors' practice on Saturday in Philadelphia and then flew down to North Carolina for his graduation. He attended part of his graduation on Sunday morning, headed off to the airport and arrived on time for a pregame team meeting that started at noon, five-and-half hours before game time.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nope she's buying a blanket and some head phones so her dad can't hear.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Vince Carter was the poster boy in Toronto for the self-centred entitled athlete.

This little incident was just symbolic of his Vince-as-Centre of the Universe attitude and yup, the media and the fans turned on him.

He also played like shit in game 7 and missed a fairly makeable buzzer beater that would have given the Raptors the win and the series.

And then, after the game, he more or less said, "Big Fucking Deal"

The criticism was entirely justified.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Happy every day he was preceded by Vince:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

As I recall, the Vince Carter thing was the morning of Game 7 of a playoff series. This is a meaningless exhibition game. Those situations are hardly comparable.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's certainly not meaningless to Mike Vick. It's quite important to him, since he's been in the slammer for two seasons. You could argue it's a make-or-break job interview.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, there's poor old Vernon but he's spared because the entire wrath of Blue Jays Nation is directed squarely at that little weasel Ricciardi.

Hell, even Cito's probably thanking God every night that JP's in town.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted