1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Make this stuff up: Armless, legless girl and wants to cheerlead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Point is:

By putting this girl on the team, you might be surprised at the publicity, what an inspiration she is to teammates and students, a school-wide spirit of looking at people strengths and not their seeming limitations, etc., etc.

By not letting this girl be a cheerleader you gain, a certain symmetry of cheerleaders I guess.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You don't need arms and legs to be annoying at games

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

Nquote author=Pancamo link=topic=84966.msg3100915#msg3100915 date=1310741752]
    Think about how high she can be tossed.
    [/quote]

going to hell for this or not, gotta admit i LOL at this. i mean, ROARED with laughter.

now that i've collected myself, let me just opine how incredibly cruel and wrong this is every which way. whether other girls were told they weren't good enough to make the team or not.

listen up, people: THE GIRL HAS NO ARMS OR LEGS!! this is probably her last opportunity to feel like a 'normal,' healthy, happy teenaged girl, a challenge for ANYONE. if this is WRONG because the girls who didn't make the team are crying, 'FOUL!,' screw these spoiled little bitches. if it's WRONG because someone thinks this makes her look like a 'charity' case, screw them, too.

i'm really, really, REALLY pissed of about this. yup, human beings really can lower themselves at every turn, just when you begin to think the human race couldn't sink any lower.

SHAME ON EVERYONE WHO IS OBJECTING TO THIS GIRL BEING ON THE SQUAD.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, i assume he became afflicted well into his tenure as trainer. so who was going to tell him he couldn't do the job anymore until he was ready to give it up? apples and oranges, though your heart's certainly on the proper side of this issue.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One of the better stories ESPN has done lately -- high school in Bay Area allows a girl with Down's Syndrome to join the cheerleading squad. They have a competitive cheer season that she's obviously not a part of, but for the football games she's out there with everyone. Ends up being picked as the homecoming queen.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6594902/an-unforgettable-night-unforgettable-girl

I imagine the whole episode opened the eyes of some high school kids who weren't previously inclined to be so accepting and welcoming, and I imagine the same thing would have happened around this armless, legless girl. But of course, the first requirement for something like this to happen is the adults behaving like adults instead of asshats.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm stumped as to why this is even an issue.

Good grief, America!

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey if cheerleading is not a sport, not a dancing competition on ESPN, then the girl in question can participate. But let's be realistic beyond that.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I laughed at that and I'm going to hell.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She can't ride a roller coaster, so cheerleading is the next best option.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

me, too. i let that one pass without wisecrack. always good to learn you're not the si only sick puppy of this board. whew! ;)

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are many who feel this condition was actually an advantage IN WRESTLING, certainly not in the rest of his life.

Having no arms or legs is not an advantage in traditional cheerleading. But as long as she wasn'ty stunting. no reason she can't cheer from a wheelchair. I think that's a "reasonable accommodation" to her handicap.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are tryouts. Not everybody makes the team. She can't do things the other cheerleaders can do. It's sad, but there are going to be jobs out in the world she can't do as well because of her handicap.

Are they supposed to kick some girl who did better in tryouts off the team for her? Then where do you draw the line?

Kid with a learning disability doesn't make the National Honor Society? Well, I guess they better change the requirements.

Kid who is deaf wants to be in the band? Gotta make room for him, too.

Go ahead. Tell me I'm horrible. But I think the school is right on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted