1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You cannot tell the story of Thanos without Ant Man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We are finishing a 10-year chapter that spanned 1970 to 1985ish.

The next 10 years will probably focus more on heroes from 1985 to 1995. That’s when I stopped reading. Kree Krull convict has to be s centerpiece, right?

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched both of the Ant Man movies on a long flight. Knew nothing at all about the character. Pretty fun stuff. Paul Rudd seems well-cast in that role.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Kree-Skrull war is apparently a big part of Captain Marvel. My guess is it will look like the Skrulls are the bad guys, but the Kree will turn out to be just as bad.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I got coerced into going to Infinity War at the last minute (someone backed out and there was an extra ticket). I hadn't seen over half of the Marvel movies, as superheroes aren't my thing and action movies with shaky cam have started to make me really motion sick when I watch in theaters. I had no idea that there was going to be an Avengers 4, so when the Snap happened and the screen went black, it finally provoked a reaction in me...mostly along the lines of "wtf that's not an ending!" (And thinking, until I was quickly corrected, that that was the final Avengers movie and half the people had just died.)

That was the only visceral reaction I had. Otherwise, I was at one of the first showings and the only person who wasn't like, outright sobbing or pissed off because my favorite character turned to dust.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

To me, that is one of the reasons why Marvel is just destroying DC on the screen. The actors just seem to love being their super hero both on and off the screen.

If I saw Downey in the street and called him Mr. Stark or Rudd and yelled hey Ant Man, I honestly think I would get a thumbs up or a positive nod.

I call Afflack Batman? Shit.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Yeah, “Vers” seeing the other half of that dogtag in the trailer is pretty big. I’m thinking Earth has two enemies to deal with after Thanos is sorted out.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An actor needs a certain amount of ham (or to be polite, over-the=topness) in them to be a successful superhero or supervillain. You can't underplay the role, it's a freakin' comic book. Some actors are uncomfortable unleashing their inner ham, and they struggle in this genre.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of my thinking ties into my knowledge of the comics, but really it is all there in the MCU. The Kree's history of mucking with humanity is a part of Agents of SHIELD, though I only know a little about that because it's been a couple of years since I watched the show. I think it was also part of Inhumans, but nobody watched that. (I didn't make it past the pilot.)

We also know that Ronan the Accuser, the villain in the first Guardians of the Galaxy, is a Kree. He is also in Captain Marvel. It was revealed a long time ago that Lee Pace would return in the role and you can see a glimpse of what looks like an Accuser's headpiece in the latest trailer. (It's at about the 1:44 mark.) The brief speech by Annette Benning's character also sounds like a justification for the Kree using Carol. Of course, it's all just guesswork, but I think it is sound guesswork.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Chris Pine is the terrible Kirk.

There’s been some intimation that Chris Evans may not be done as Cap. And with both Dark Phoenix and the forthcoming expected integration of the X-Men into the MCU on the horizon post-Disney/Fox merger (no idea how that’s gonna work as a storyline), that opens the door to the next big chapter involving some adaptation of the comics’ AvX storyline of a few years ago (which was really good, very much involved the Phoenix but obviously not Jean Grey who by the way isn’t dead anymore, and y’all should check it out).

10. 2muchcoffeeman

First the X-Men, then the Fantastic Four (which Fox has made a complete and terrible mess of).

That’s the current iteration of the X-Men timeline (Earth-TRN414), which hasn’t been mashed into the MCU timeline (Earth-199999) … yet.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

OK, one more …

That’s not the only reason. The DC universe movies have been poorly envisioned, poorly written, poorly cast, poorly directed, and poorly managed by the studio and corporation, with other ancillary “poorlies” also dragging them down (some of the computer-generated effects have been too obviously computerized, and they were small things that should have been easy by now like the way the end of Batman’s cape waved in a breeze in Justice League). And with Henry Cavill apparently not available (thank Zod) for his last contracted Superman appearance, Ben Affleck’s Batman role up in the air, Amy Adams apparently out as Lois Lane, and repeated rumors that Aquaman is shaping up to be a major holiday bomb, the entire DC movie universe could collapse under the weight of the desperation that fueled its creation (much like Universal’s Dark Universe that was to feature updates of classic 1920s-1950s movie monsters).

And Vincent Chase is the best Aquaman anyway.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Seldom have I seen trailers that shriek "stinkeroo" as much as the Aquaman ads on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted